Producer Rockwilder gonna help out up and coming producers, selling beats for $50

Mastertunes

ill o.g.
Jacked of SOHH:

Producer Rockwilder, best known for his work with rapper Redman, is set to launch a website selling his beats and offering up and coming beatsmiths his services.

Rocbeats.com is scheduled to pre -launch December 13 and it will be ready for its official launch in March of next year. The site gives aspiring rappers and indie labels the opportunity to buy tracks from the Grammy Award-winning producer.

Rockwilder will also be offering beatmakers a chance to win some dough as well. Talented producers can submit their tracks with the possibility of receiving $1,000 monthly giveaways, $15,000 annual prizes, and even a chance to earn a $1 million production deal.

"I have made millions of dollars in the music business and this is my way of giving back," Rocwilder said in a statement. "I mean the same kind of beats that I would sell for $50,000 or $100,000; I now sell for as little as $50 or $100 on my website. I made my money, now I'm going to help artist get the hottest music at Rocbeats.com."

Roc is best known for being immortalized by Red and Method Man's hit "Da Rocwilder" released in 1999, but he has also worked with Jay-Z, Nas, 50 Cent, Busta Rhymes, Kool G Rap, Mobb Deep, Lil' Kim, Beanie Sigel, LL Cool J, Fat Joe and Big Pun, among others. He has also produced R&B tracks for Janet Jackson, Bel Biv Devoe, and Pink.

Check out a preview of Rocwilder's website Rocbeats.com on December 13 and look for a full fledged launch in March.

- http://forums.sohh.com/showthread.php?t=659846
- www.rocbeats.com

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
this aint going to help us now... this is going to set us back... cuz now.. why get a beat from an unknown cat, when u can get one from someone with experience for about the same price... NOW EVERYONE REALLY GOING TO HAVE TO STEP UP THEIR GAME... think about it..

Timbo - $1000 or Unknown Guy - $1000
Who are you going with? Especially if the styles are some what similar
On top of that.. this is going to increase the amount of BS rappers on hot beat... the beat game was fine.. the rappers need to come up...

IMO

Killah Tekniq

ill o.g.
Freakwncy said:
this aint going to help us now... this is going to set us back... cuz now.. why get a beat from an unknown cat, when u can get one from someone with experience for about the same price... NOW EVERYONE REALLY GOING TO HAVE TO STEP UP THEIR GAME... think about it..

On top of that.. this is going to increase the amount of BS rappers on hot beat... the beat game was fine.. the rappers need to come up...

IMO
Damn... never really thought of it like that.

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Freakwncy said:

IMO

I was confused by why this would be good for a producer. I kind of see what Rock is doing. If you have a big name selling beats for 50$ then you have a lot of cats coming to the website to buy beats and if we advertise on their as well, they might come across ours and try and cop. The general Idea, I got from just browsing through for a sec, is that its like ILLMUSIK.com just sponsored by Rockwilda. I will have to spend more time on the website to come to any conclusions.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Freak's got a point. I mean, I respect Rocwilder for doing his thing, that's really cool but it has a strong possibility of making things difficult in the long run.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Well, I would have to hear some of these beats first. He might say that he's going to sell you top beats for 50$, when in reality he's just cleaning out his computer for tax a write off.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
Freakwncy said:

IMO

homies gotta point...whoever was plannin on breakin into the industry producin wise within the next year has about 3 months to do it now...but then again the trully talented producers that belong is the game will make it either way rocweilder or no rocweilder...that one producer aint gonna jus fuck it up all the way....but if other producers follow him like damn dre, neptunes, blaze n nem....then that might really fuck shit up...

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
this is really interesting. i like the idea , but also agree with freakwncy, theres gona be alot of bs rappers on hot beats. otherwise am feeling what rockw trying to do, but i dont know if he has thought out to the full extent, the implications of this to other 'online' producers.

L. Soul

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
afriquedeluxe said:
this is really interesting. i like the idea , but also agree with freakwncy, theres gona be alot of bs rappers on hot beats. otherwise am feeling what rockw trying to do, but i dont know if he has thought out to the full extent, the implications of this to other 'online' producers.

I think its just that. It'll cut out only really "online producers". Yes, the internet is where you can get national/international exposure through beats to rappers halfway across the world. But if you do more than stay online to get yours I think you'll still be fine. It will just force people to go out and move they tracks harder. I think it will just weed out a lot of bs producers. Now I'm not speakin like I'm a great producer(as I'm not still a beginner) but those that just throwin tracks out for nothin and makin 50 bucks a pop from desparate MC's will now be left with two choices:
a) step they game up
b) get out the game

Because once word spreads round to everyone, you gonna have to come with heat that says "who needs rocwilder, I can give you L. Soul" ya know

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The law of supply and demand at work. Think about this in terms of economics. If anyone can easily get a Rockwilder beat, the lack of scarcity will lower the demand for his beats, and it won't affect the game much at all. On the other hand, if he continues to bring heat and sell the beats at that price, that will put a lot of pressure on the prices of other producers' equally tight or weaker beats, that don't have the name. But how many nice beats can this cat actually make? I would bet not enough to keep up both quality and quantity enough to affect prices in the big picture, so either his name becomes valueless or he sells not enough beats to make much of a difference in the market of beat-selling.

I'm not an economist or anything so I could be wrong on this stuff, but these are my initial thoughts. Plus I'm lightweight drunk.

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage said:
The law of supply and demand at work. Think about this in terms of economics. If anyone can easily get a Rockwilder beat, the lack of scarcity will lower the demand for his beats, and it won't affect the game much at all. On the other hand, if he continues to bring heat and sell the beats at that price, that will put a lot of pressure on the prices of other producers' equally tight or weaker beats, that don't have the name. But how many nice beats can this cat actually make? I would bet not enough to keep up both quality and quantity enough to affect prices in the big picture, so either his name becomes valueless or he sells not enough beats to make much of a difference in the market of beat-selling.

I'm not an economist or anything so I could be wrong on this stuff, but these are my initial thoughts. Plus I'm lightweight drunk.

i think youre pretty much in the ballpark with that theory and i took economics (micro and macro) in college btw LOL

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I think that this move has good intentions but it is a spit in the face of every producer who
worked their way up from gettin fronted on by industry cats to actually getting placements on platinum records.

Lowering prices isn't gonna help up and coming producers, it will hurt them because you're taking tracks that are valued at $30,ooo and up, and making them available to anybody, which KILLS the market.

How will a producer determine their market value when platinum producers are saying "You should charge $50 bucks"

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I could see how this could kill the market for up an coming beatmakers to sell beats to finance their studios.. But then again it could force us to step our game up. In the future we could take the top 10-20 beatmakers here and form the United Illmuzik Crew where we only sell beats to ill mc's an ill clicks [only fiiire beats], we could get out name out there that the UIC [ill muzik crew] or whatever name has much better quality then Rock or Anyone else and if your rockin one of our beats you must be good. We could get our name really out there this way.

L. Soul

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Exactly, all it means is you step your game up, you ahve to become better than Rocwilder. And pretty soon someone comes up to you and says "Well I can get a Rocwilder for 50 bucks so why I should I buy from you for a higher price"
You ahve to be able then to pull out your CD give it to them and say "Because Rocwilder can't sell you this"

It's simple as that. I think the ones that will end complaining to Rocwilder, yelling, and ranting the most will just be the ones who are comfortable where they are at and won't want to step their game up ABOVE Roc's.

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you peep the site though, it says that producers can send in a track to be looked over and he'll give you advice for 75 bucks.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
MarkN said:
75 bucks just for him to review a track ! shit....

no doubt, i'd rather get advice from my fam anyway! i'm sure rocks got experience but the combined experience of people like Shadeed, Wings, Classic, Formant, and heads of this caliber are just as good. Besides most famous people say they were in teh right place at the right time, it's the heads that wern't in the right place at the right time that keep strivin for the best. i'm jus glad i got chall!

members online