Producers - a Special Breed? (Another Pseudophilosphical BS ;))

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I cant say Ive shopped a beat since I came back to making music, havent even tried to sell a beat to a rapper. I have submitted to some libraries though, but more in the $5000 starting ballpark. I have had as much luck selling those as I did when I was trying to sell them cheap 12 years ago. I dont sell my music, Im not a salesman, as a result I hardly get my music heard let alone sold lmao, thats the reality of it.
Yeah unfortunately you have to be a salesman in order to make some real money.

I saw something ages ago with Qbert and how he just focuses on scratching and Yogafrog does the business side of it. That's the dream - make beats and let someone set up the sales and business stuff. That's the way it should be!

Yeah unfortunately you have to be a salesman in order to make some real money.

I saw something ages ago with Qbert and how he just focuses on scratching and Yogafrog does the business side of it. That's the dream - make beats and let someone set up the sales and business stuff. That's the way it should be!

DJ Qbert, goddamn! Watching that motherfucker on the 1’s & 2’s, many hours transfixed plus many others like DJ shadow, executioners etc just loved the way they seem to make a language with scratching and would literally battle with those sounds against each other.

I am not on your level production wise but I'd rather work with artists that I feel for free and grow together than to enter the oversaturated soulless beatselling market.
good music comes from the soul, not from the pursuit of money

DJ Qbert, goddamn! Watching that motherfucker on the 1’s & 2’s, many hours transfixed plus many others like DJ shadow, executioners etc just loved the way they seem to make a language with scratching and would literally battle with those sounds against each other.
qbert taught me how to scratch, pretty sure I still have his whole "do it yourself scratch" series on a harddrive somewhere,
EDIT: found it in less than a minute

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
make beats and let someone set up the sales and business stuff. That's the way it should be!

Well really (as you know), that's how it works.
Producer/Artist
- lawyer
- manager
- A&R
- Label
- marketing
- radio plugger
- PR

There's tonnes of layers to this shit. I honestly don't really value the route of 'trying to sell your beats to people'. I personally don't believe that should be the goal. For all the people I've met and known in the industry, no one has ever suggested/recommended 'trying to sell your beats' as a way of having any kind of success. The closest to that was a manager telling me how we could get 5k for remixes, but again, the approach to that wasn't 'trying to sell beats'.

I get a bit 'cba' about giving people the advice no more, as no one really wants to hear it, they just wanna hear "yeah sell your beats on beat stars bro and put 'type beat' and spam it."

Like I said, I've never seen any professional give that advice, it seems to be advice from other people who are also struggling to 'sell beats'.

But like I said, too many ain't willing to hear that.