Producers Block

H.Quality

ILLIEN
I'm not able to make anything.. this is so annoying

I take my sample, prepare it, then try to chop it up, but cant get it to work.
This is happening with EVERY sample..sometimes I get to the drums, but cant seem to get them right either.

Also my workflow is getting repetitive..

So what do you guys do when you get stuck?

I think the problem is that Im TRYING too hard. I cant just sit down and make a beat, almost all of my best beats happened by accident. (Weird as it sounds)

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
One of two things usually work for me...

Step back and take a break or flip something that you wouldn't normally flip.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
take a break. organize your sound library. listen to music that you wouldn't ordinarily listen to. work on your engineering skills, add new things to your repertoire. things like that. i'm having the same problem right now. i'm taking the time to look for new music. found a couple things that i like that i wouldn't have ordinarily taken the time to look for. it happens from time to time, but when i come back, i'm back for a while.

H.Quality

ILLIEN
take a break. organize your sound library. listen to music that you wouldn't ordinarily listen to. work on your engineering skills, add new things to your repertoire. things like that. i'm having the same problem right now. i'm taking the time to look for new music. found a couple things that i like that i wouldn't have ordinarily taken the time to look for. it happens from time to time, but when i come back, i'm back for a while.

You make a valid point. Thanks

Medl4

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 69
drink olde english and listen to Hubert Laws (seriously), if that doesn't work, just take a break and walk through the woods or something. Sound is everywhere, its all in how you organize it to fit your momentary needs.

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
drink olde english and listen to Hubert Laws (seriously), if that doesn't work, just take a break and walk through the woods or something. Sound is everywhere, its all in how you organize it to fit your momentary needs.

Awesome answers, I like this sentiment right here.
Beatmaking is kinda like any other form of construction, measure cut fasten. Undo makes it harmless
Personality makes it art
If its work, thats why its not working, relax, focus on something else. Your skill is not an issue, and the art will return when you're at ease.
^In my experience...

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Take a few hits of molly or blow, smoke a few blunts, drink a few beers(few being 8-10) and play around.