Producers hiding behind 808 bass.

Kevlar070

Battle Points: 5
Is it me or is every producer just creating wack r copied music and leaving it up to the popular maxed out 808 bass, to make their beats sound fuller and appealing to the ear?

Is it that easy to call urself a producer or beat maker these days? Jus as long as u hav a 808 bass and som drum patterns dat sound similar to every song out?

Where is the creativity and out of the box thinking, and the building of ur own identity as a producer?

When u ask producers who are their all time great producers, u hear zaytoven and kanye west. Did hip hop start in the year 2000? (Rhetorical question)
We gotta not let de culture die and educate these new or fogetfull producers how this art was originated.
B4 de principals of the culture is lost 4 eva.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Excellent point.

I've been writing about stuff like this for a while, just recently I did an article about the 808 instead of a bassline. It's a good idea and has its uses, but I wouldn't use it all the time.

But this is more than just the use of 808's. It's fine to make beats that have today's sound, but to me, Hip Hop should be where you just produce what YOU produce. If you want to make beats just to sell and make money, then you should lean more towards what's popular, otherwise, I wish producers would just do their own style.

The other thing too is the younger generation is heavily influenced by today's style since it's everywhere, so that's something to consider.

Bottom line: Hip Hop was and should be all about "urban". Hip Hop was never intended to be about champagne and glitter.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Is it me or is every producer just creating wack r copied music and leaving it up to the popular maxed out 808 bass, to make their beats sound fuller and appealing to the ear?

Is it that easy to call urself a producer or beat maker these days? Jus as long as u hav a 808 bass and som drum patterns dat sound similar to every song out?

Where is the creativity and out of the box thinking, and the building of ur own identity as a producer?

When u ask producers who are their all time great producers, u hear zaytoven and kanye west. Did hip hop start in the year 2000? (Rhetorical question)
We gotta not let de culture die and educate these new or fogetfull producers how this art was originated.
B4 de principals of the culture is lost 4 eva.

Mmmmm allow me to take a stab at this......

1. No, not every producer creates music revolving around the 808, but there are a lot that do because they are catering to a market that's asking for it. Or... maybe they actually like that type of music?

2. It's always been easy to call yourself a producer in this genre, because beatmaker and producer are synonymous.

3. Creativity, thinking outside the box and building your own identity is still where it's always been → with people who fit that role. The only difference is we have the ability to actually hear everything as opposed to earlier times.

4. Of course they're going to name people they grew up listening to, that's common sense. Yes, for them, hiphop started when they became influenced by it. What caught their ear is normally going to be the roots for them.

5. The art isn't dying, it's not dead. It's just as alive as it always was, the only difference is the true sound is hardly relevant on the radio.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Mmmmm allow me to take a stab at this......

4. Of course they're going to name people they grew up listening to, that's common sense. Yes, for them, hiphop started when they became influenced by it. What caught their ear is normally going to be the roots for them.

That statement really sums it up whatevers poppin from age 13-20 (some sooner then others) is going to be your base. IMO those are the primary years your going to look back on where you really enjoyed got invloved in hip-hop/rap.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
But it all comes back to the fact that the ones coming up today are following rather than leading. Not all of them of course, but most. It's completely fine to do what's in style, but I just think everyone should have their own style, that's what makes it interesting.

I always think back to the early 90's when MC Hammer became "Hammer" and was dressed in all black with black boots LOL. All of a sudden he was hardcore and from the streets.

Then the UMC's were all about happy Hip Hop too with dancing and all that, then they went the hardcore route as well (even though it was short lived).

But those are performers, so I understand. With production I find it's more important because the music is what sets the direction of Hip Hop, so just do you, don't follow.

If you look at that thread I posted about Chief Keef's music where they did a little series about him, it's a perfect example. I don't like his music, but you have to give it up to those guys, especially Young Chop, for bringing in a new style and just doing their own thing. And that kids, is why they became successful.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
i agree with all of this...im a fan of hiphop, and a little of the music today, it sounded good when it first came out (trap music or edm with rap)..because it was fresh, it was something new that a lot of people could relate to (my generation)
i agree with fade, hopefully some cats out there that just got into beatmaking/ producing especially in the genre of hiphop should know the roots, some cats actually think that they are making hiphop because someone can rap on it. i actually heard someone rapping with just 808's playing...might be the dumbest or the most creative way...

honestly the only new artist i found that i would call "HIPHOP" is Exile...(might be new...not sure, but first time i heard of him.)

he actually dropped a new beat mixtape and been bumping it almost everyday to work...

members online