producing and remixing....

D

djcham

alright..so i been browsing through other forums and some cats out there saying they produce this and that..and i'm like..coool

so i download some of their music..and all they do is lay different instrumentals over acapellas...(not their own instrumentals, ripped instrumentals)

please dont tell me this is considered producing? what's the real difference between producing and remixing? laying over a beat over a different acapella takes like no skilll (bust out the beatmapper in acid, lay it right over acapella, done.)

so what's the dilly? is there a fine line in the meaning of producing?

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sounds more like mixing to me. i mean they produced neither the original beat or the vocals, so i think its just mixing. to me, having the title of producing something means that you have to make it. from scratch, or samples or something, but not just mix.

thats what dj's do, they mix already produced stuff.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
^^ honestly a Producer doesnt have to know how to sing.. rap .. play instruments.. make beats..
think of a producer as a Director.. yes some can act but they dont need to they just hand over good final Product

thats all a producer is required to do.. bring in the talent and make them play out his idea..

in this case lol i dont know what to say

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
djcham said:
alright..so i been browsing through other forums and some cats out there saying they produce this and that..and i'm like..coool

so i download some of their music..and all they do is lay different instrumentals over acapellas...(not their own instrumentals, ripped instrumentals)

please dont tell me this is considered producing? what's the real difference between producing and remixing? laying over a beat over a different acapella takes like no skilll (bust out the beatmapper in acid, lay it right over acapella, done.)

so what's the dilly? is there a fine line in the meaning of producing?

Well, in my mind as a DJ myself, the only way that I would call that ish producing is because maybe I came up with the idea for the remix myself. I get these so called remix records all the time from my record pools and I'm like "what?!!" this is supposed to be a remix? Somebody else's beat with somebody else's acapella? These records I usually pass on to my friends or other Dj's that I know, because these type of things I do live when I spin at the club so I don't need them. At the same time; I can understand them though. I remember one night awhlie back, I mixed "How Deep Is Your Love" by the Bee Gees with "Here Come The Horns" by Tres Delinquents. The crowd went crazy. People were runnin' up to the booth askin' me where they could buy it and who made it. That ish was just too funny to me. I told them that it was an original DJ O-H-TEN remix.LOL! Only because it was me who came up with the idea and I didn't think that anyone else would come up with some ish like that.LOL! I didn't actually produce anything except the idea and the concept for the mix or remix if you like; a variation of the originals. It was my thoughts and skills on showcase live at the club. I thought about doing some of these type records and selling them also; but I don't know how you would get cleared to do something like that. On the other hand; I do make remixes where I use my own beats made from scratch. There was a thread similiar to this awhile back but I can't find it right now. A producer produces the idea for whatever the project is at hand whether it be a fresh new beat made from scratch, or a blend of two commonly known songs. If you are sampling or looping or whatever; it's the same thing just on a smaller scale. Alot of popular r&b joints are just that. Take "Breathe" by Blu Cantrell for example. It's just her and Sean Paul's vocals over Dre's "What's the Difference". This is not even a remix. Two cats got production credits for that ish! AND got paid! Even Dre does'nt play all the instruments in his joints. He has the idea and somebody else plays them for him. I guess that if it's your idea you "produced" it. 'Nuff said. I'm out.
ONE

members online