producing da slow jam

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
hey any one got tips on producing slow jams any examples of a home made slow jam, need to giv birthday present to girlfriend in need of assistance

E

Equality 7-2521

ive got an example of exactly what you need. check my beat called Be Fullfilled In This Life. if thats not what your looking for, I have another one which isnt up on my soundclick page but i can upload if you really want me to.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I think he wanted a tip on how to produce his own slow jam Mr. Messenger. All I can tell you is a slow tempo, some congo's, 1980's drumkits, you got a slow jam.

E

Equality 7-2521

Kevin A said:
I think he wanted a tip on how to produce his own slow jam Mr. Messenger. All I can tell you is a slow tempo, some congo's, 1980's drumkits, you got a slow jam.

he also asked for examples

--------------------

good advice classic. i think rhodes especially are mos def a good idea.

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Alternating 1/8 & 1/16 hi-hats plus a sidestick...also come in slightly late on the snares to give it that lazy, slow jam feel.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
Slow tempo round 80bpm, smooth sounds, leave out some snares, let the melody take over.

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
cheers guyz dat awsum but yea keep the ideas coming

OOpS

ill o.g.
Most of the beats I get down with are what you may call slow jams. I would say keep the bpm at 87-92 those are good tempos. Also keep the chord progressions at about three to four chords.

Like Classic says the major to minor chord progressions are very pevelent in slow jam type beats going to the minor gives it a more street type feel and keeps it from being to bubbley and happy kind of allows the lyrics more directions to turn

make the verses about 16 bars and the chorus (hook) at about 8-12 each time through mix it up a bit and ( Bammmm you got yo self a slow Jam ) :)

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo i'd say even slower, i normally go at like 65-75 for them.

and those gliding gangsta whistles are always a nice touch on them.

def1nition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
first of all it's important you have a good melody good harmony under it and a bassline that moves the song using rhodes is good everyone keeps saying go major to minor but ussually I do minor to major that way your progression resolves. You could do major to minor too if you know anything about harmony 2 5 1's are always good but just make it soulful.

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
nice i got sum going at da mo just need a decent singer over it and ill post on soundclick, or i could sing but trust me the fucking world will end the day that happens

kaivai

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Well if its for your girl, it would be a nice gesture if you had part in the singing/rhyming...

I'll take those advices too, man. Thanx for asking that question... I have the hardest time to do slow jams, my shit is dark and grimmy most of the time...