Production on Birdman/Lil Wayne's "Stuntin Like My Daddy"

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I can't stop listening to this song, the beat is just fucking insane and I especially love it because its in the same style that I've been trying to achieve but I can't get it just right. The brass and bass are amazing I don't know how they did that and I was hoping someone might know what hardware was used to make the beat.

I know that someone named TMIX produced the track but I can't find any info on him. I use a keyboard and reason right now but I've been saving my money and I'm about to buy some nice hardware but if they are using a certain keyboard or something I want to get it.

What'd they use to make this song?

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I realize its layered horns and I'm quite good at making reason sound above average but I still can't get that sound. I'm not knowledgeable about hardware at all but maybe they are using the MV-8000 or a Fantom? If anyone knows please help me out.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
That whole beat could have been made in reason, easy.

Just use the basic square patch for the subtractor and raise/lower the filter resolution, and fuck wit the modulation wheel to get that tremolo effect.

As for the horns, use the BRASSENS patchfor the nn16/xt and then layer it with a stereo trumbet patch from the orkester bank, EQ out some of the lows of the brass, and add the bass to give it bottom.. Then the rest of the elements are just lil misc. sounds.

Edit: there might be other stuff, but i'm just going off memory of what i thought when i first heard the song.

_Nova

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
mikemat said:
I can't stop listening to this song, the beat is just fucking insane and I especially love it because its in the same style that I've been trying to achieve but I can't get it just right. The brass and bass are amazing I don't know how they did that and I was hoping someone might know what hardware was used to make the beat.

I know that someone named TMIX produced the track but I can't find any info on him. I use a keyboard and reason right now but I've been saving my money and I'm about to buy some nice hardware but if they are using a certain keyboard or something I want to get it.

What'd they use to make this song?

Yeah class is right, the horns are pretty standard, definitely something you can do in reason (I use it also). Are you messing with the combinator? Try putting together the OctBrassEns patch (NN-XT Brass) with some other synths/brass...maybe even an organ turned down a little.

If you have motif sounds the specific sound they used sounds awfully like this one patch on there, Big & brite, with some other stuff stacked on top of it.

hope that helps

mikemat said:
I realize its layered horns and I'm quite good at making reason sound above average but I still can't get that sound. I'm not knowledgeable about hardware at all but maybe they are using the MV-8000 or a Fantom? If anyone knows please help me out.

One other thing, I'm not sure of this, but it sounds to me like they messed with the attack on the horns, because they come on very quickly...i'm still learning about that stuff so i could be wrong, but for horns, especially in reason, it sounds to me like they were messing with attack times, at least a little.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yea its dope as fuck. Like I said I'm pretty good with reason I use combinators and stack devices so I can achieve a fuller sound but I guess I still need some practice especially on the mastering side of things. I can't seem to get a clean bass sound to carry the brass it always sounds dry compared to TMIX's.

Thanks for the help guys, Sanova if you mess around with it some and get anything close would you mind sending me the .rns file so I can see how you did it? I liked your video on What You Know About That which is why i'm asking you but if anyone else is experienced in reason and wants to try I'd appreciate it. I'm gonna mess with it some more and if I find anything good I'll share. 1

Daikomo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sonva i got talk with you man so seem to be holding back some knowledy dog for real. I'll holla at you

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
heard dat shit yesterday for the first time n i was feelin it, i like dat lil synth sound dat complements da horns. i havent heard dat in a beat before. n u can make dat shit sound like dat easy. EQ n other filters will help you fatten up sounds like class said.

nomezzy

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Daikomo said:
Sonva i got talk with you man so seem to be holding back some knowledy dog for real. I'll holla at you

No doubt.. get at me.

@Mikematt, If i get a chance to fuck wit it i'll let u know

members online