ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
what am i?

true that duce, thats a good outlook.

I would call myself a
musican first,
producer second,
beatmaker 3rd

I would be making music some way if i never learned how to make beats. I cant wait for the day I can work with a 50 piece orchestra or a full brass section. (i already got a song idea for an hip hop orchstra )

Like u said im gonna focucing on makeing beats but for me thats just the begenning. I'm only gonna use that to get my foot in the door. I feel that there is sooo much more that can be musically with hip hop that cant been done with a beat machine,loops ,or software!!!

class.......

P.S did u get that code fixed??? u never sent it

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
BlackSox said:
First of all, I think Kanye DOES get a lot more help than most other big name producers. If i put out my best 3 beats with big name artists on them, I'm sure at least one of them would be a hit. .........
silas

I kinda disagree with you here blacksocks. I think your right that eveyone here has one or 2 beats that could be a hit. But i think that a major thing that sepreates a bedroom producer from a big name is consistancy. Anyone can make a tight beat. Few people can start a new sound

claSS......

BlackSox

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yea but you dont have to start a new sound to make a hit. but your right consistancy is key.

"x"

silas
TheBlackSo"x"

lol

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
MarkN said:
But then take a look at producers like us on illmuzik, we only get to use the equipmet we have/ can afford,

i went to jail for hip-hop, sold weed to buy equipment. money does open doors. those of you who have studio's with all the extras, knows. the choices to be made, i spent years beating it up, paying dues, learning new equipment. but lost time out of my life as well.

T

The Bastard

i look at myself as a beat maker since i cant play any instruments besides feeling around and making up melodys that sound cool to the ear,but i tell the ladys im a musician ,cuz u know how much ladies love musicians

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Hey yall
I want to big up the bedroom producers, I think this is where the new styles are going to come from.
The whole reason that 808s and 909s got so big is that pro studio's didn't like them, claiming they didn't sound realistic enough. They ended up in the pawn shops for 50 or 100 bucks, the bedroom producers got a hold of em, and turned em out and created some new original ish.
This is what I'm hoping to see more and more of in the next few years, some truly new original ish from people without the pressure to make each record sound the same as the one before to sell x # of copies....

O

ola

yo dahkter u mu#*af&%king right, bedroom producers will become the newstyle producers of the nex gen of hip hop production i've heard so much hot stuff from up and coming cats that was just so amazing to me it just made me step my game up as far as beat making the next ten years of hip hop i predict will be very creative as far as beats and hip hop music......just as long as cats step their game up

def1nition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you look at what most record producers did in the past it was very different than what a producer does today a lot of the producers didn't play any instruments on the album some were song writers some weren't basicaly their job was to hire the best musicians for the job hire arrangers, writers, and oversee the the album. You have to remember back in the day anything that was on an album there had to be people hired to play it. That means strings, horns, orchestras. The producer may not have anyhting to do with writing the song but he/she would oversee and critique the final product.

Today because of electronic instruments all this has been reduced to one person except for if someone has studio musicians and so on. Classic hit it right on the head when he said that a producer is like the conductor of an orchestra. The problem is a lot of times the label hires studio musicians not the supposed "producer" the musicians end up playing the bulk of the song, and the person who supposedly "produced" the song just adds a drum track or sequeces the track. This is not producing they should be given credit for sequencing the track or drum programing. However I think Puff Daddy is justified in taking credit for some of the albums he had production credit on he hired the people who made the tracks, the studio musicians and oversaw the project. Producer is just a very broad term.
Blacksox the royalties are split like this 50% Publisher 50% songwriter. If Pharell Tim and Kanye are getting 100% of the royalties what is the label getting? It ussaully goes like this the label takes all the publishing the rest is left for the artist and producer. If somehow an artist keeps their publishing and produces and raps or sings on their own song then they get 100% but if your sighned to a label they're gonna get the publishing rights.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
A yo, all this Kanye West talk, I'm sick of him, what about JUST BLAZE, he was more popular than Kanye before Kanye started rapping!!! JUST BLAZE brought more heat than Kanye

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I know exactly what your sayin', man. You're probably the type to also wonder why the "hottest beat" that's on the radio now is something that any of us could have come up with using Fruity Loops. But those producers get recognized for makin those "hot beats" simply because they know people. And his people's people know people. I get like this all of the time and I'm glad I read your post.

I believe the way to really get hot is to earn any cash you can with the beats from your equipment and use that money to build a better setup. Not to get like Donald Trump or nuffin, LOL

All I'm sayin is that I know we don't have time like the "Pros" have, smokin and hittin pads all day, but if makin music is your future, and you rather do it than your job...make music your job. Earn it. HoLlA

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I copped kanye's instrumentals CD and his shit is not that hot. I mean he flows on it it sounds better but sometimes i can even hear some samples clipping. Now I aint dissing him but it is important to remember that when his ass started he was just like us. He probably worked with reason or FL too, who knows. I know it for a fact Timbaland started in his bedroom with missy. Same with the neptunes. It's just that they got spotted by the big cats and thats how it worked out for them. Kanye used to make his beats at home and then give them for mastering in a studio. My point is u start as a bedroom beatmaker unless your dad is jay z or kanye and then u move up to professional producer. Timbo even got a PhD in production.

E

Equality 7-2521

ive only skim read some posts here.

as for the question in the original post, i think YES.....the gap between a dope bedroom producer and a pro is very very very small as far as quality is concerned. many times the bedroom producer will shit on the pro.

so yeah, its all about getting your name out there i guess

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think the only difference is as far as sound quality and accessibility are concerned. Put simply, if Kanye West wants the Harlem Boys Chorus singing on his beats, he can go get them; a bedroom producers on the other hand will sample them from a record. Thats about it. As far as ideas and talent is concerned though I dont think there any difference. I know a lotta cats who got much tighter ideas than professional producers but miss opportunities to shine.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I copped kanye's instrumentals CD and his shit is not that hot. I mean he flows on it it sounds better but sometimes i can even hear some samples clipping. My point is u start as a bedroom beatmaker unless your dad is jay z or kanye and then u move up to professional producer. Timbo even got a PhD in production.

Most instrumentals you hear aren't that "good" when they're just beats. I think his beats are dope, because they fit well with the artist who performs on it, which makes the beat better. Of course the opposite happens as well...the beat makes the artist sound better. But it's the combination of the two that is essential.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
My 2 cents - Professional & Bedroom producers both have access to ALL the tools. The PP's have people to take care of that kind of stuff for them and the BP's dont. The legal and financial aspects involved make it almost impossible for the BP's to be taken seriously whereas the PP's have a Corporation standing behind them.

As far as Sound Quality goes...PP's have the advantage because sound quality isn't really their job. They have the option to send their stuff off to recording engineers at Mastering Studio's to have their work professionally done (by people who have obtained degrees in sound). Personally, I don't think the average BP can obtain that knowledge just based on trial and error alone. Schooliing really does help.

This doesn't mean that BP's can't produce better, hotter, doper tracks. It doesn't mean that BP's can't create a better quality sound. It does mean that you HAVE to be damn near unhuman to wear ALL the hats involved, which is almost impossible. IMO, one man can't do it all. PP's have teams that sit down and discuss marketing strategies, demographics, finances, legalities and so on...a BP doesn't.

Advantage PP, game, set, match!

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
holy shit. this thread is 6 years old. I see some names that aren't around anymore.