Promoting Your Music

• beat this! voting starts in...

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
How do you guys go about doing it/where do you go about doing it? I feel like online communities/forums have phased out (at least the ones I used to visit). I remember like 5 years ago there were at least like 5 heavily active forums that I would visit to post my music and get feedback, but a lot of them have decreased heavily in activity or just don't exist anymore. I've been out of the game for the past few years and just now getting back into it so I'm trying to get my sources back together.

The internet is the new wave of promoting especially for individual artists. Just trying to figure out ways to take advantage of that.

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Open a twitter account, a soundcloud account, and a facebook page. Go to all three of them and use the same tactic. Follow artists and tell them that you are gonna repost/retweet/share their tracks if they do the same, that will give you some exposure. Also if you can, setup a budget and pay a proffesional. You can go all the way to 10k subs with 100 bucks

Koey

ILLIEN
The last point you made is kind of interesting. Have you used a professional before to promote your social media channels or know of anyone that has used one? I'm kind of curious as to what it is they're doing that allows them to pull in so many subs for people. If they're doing what you mentioned about Twitter, soundcloud, and Facebook, then I feel like I could do that myself and help establish relationship at the same time rather going through a 3rd party source and not developing any type of relationship with people.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've written about this many times yet I don't see anything changing.

Yes, forums have gone south and social media is what it's all about. I do think that social media is the way to go, but unfortunately everyone is doing it and they're all doing the same thing.

I think you should have a social media presence but the main thing you want to do is NOT be like everyone else. One of the biggest issues is every beatmaker posting their beats non-stop on Twitter and they don't interact with anyone. So if you look at that from someone else's point of view, would you want to login to Twitter and see all those posts? Of course not. It resembles spam (it basically is).

The best way to do it is to be active in that field. What I mean is, since you're a beatmaker then your posts should be about beatmaking and music production. Throw in some Hip Hop news as well. What I hate to see is someone's Twitter account and they're ranting about last night's NBA game. I'm going to your page to check out YOU and your beats.

The thing everyone has to remember is that you have to set yourself apart, especially in today's world. If you posted a video of yourself falling down a flight of stairs while on fire and you're playing the trombone, guess what will happen? Instant million views. Why? Well, first of all, it's retarded. Second, no one else has done that (although we should check YouTube, someone probably has!).

Anyway, bottom line is don't be like everyone else. That goes for your music as well.

Cgh4E9aUUAAY3x1.jpg:large

Koey

ILLIEN
Lol Fade I see where you're coming from. I understand that all the beat makers/artists on social media are trying to promote their music since it's their product/brand that they're trying to push first and foremost, but I feel like you need a balance of that as well as a more human touch to make yourself relatable/likeable. Isn't that what helps you build relationships with your fan base which in turn strengthens it and keeps you top of mind? Obviously if all you're posting about is random shit unrelated to music then you tarnish your brand, but I feel like there needs to be a balance of both.

Trik, would you happen to know from your friend what it is that the professional he paid did to pull in all those subs?

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Lol Fade I see where you're coming from. I understand that all the beat makers/artists on social media are trying to promote their music since it's their product/brand that they're trying to push first and foremost, but I feel like you need a balance of that as well as a more human touch to make yourself relatable/likeable. Isn't that what helps you build relationships with your fan base which in turn strengthens it and keeps you top of mind? Obviously if all you're posting about is random shit unrelated to music then you tarnish your brand, but I feel like there needs to be a balance of both.

Trik, would you happen to know from your friend what it is that the professional he paid did to pull in all those subs?
Sadly i dont remember the name. Ill let you know once i got it

members online