Promotion

ill o.g.
What is everybody doing to promote theyre stuff? I have a rap group called Deadly Kombination and I want important people to hear my cd. Any one got any tips? I know the obviouse stuff like trying to get local shows, bringing our cd to record stores and trying to meet people but anyone got anything else?
THanks alot!

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I personally feel that if you don't have a name yet you don't need to sell CDs, just give them out like little 4 song EP of your tightest work, do that for at least 6 months. Get a name, start in your immediate area, like everybody in your apartment complex should have your CD, then everybody in your hood , then everybody on your side of town , Keep expanding your circle. Everybody you work and play with should have a copy or two. Listen to the low budget radio stations, and find out an event one of the personalities is promoting, then go and holla at them. Like ask what it takes to get some spins. When you say you want important people hear your music , I've come to the conclusion that record labels and A&Rs are not concerned on how you sound. They could careless on how your CD sounds these days , they want you to show them you have a following and name that can sell units. Or a track record of moving a few units or a buzz before they mess with you. Not all the time but most of the time. If people are buzzing for you then you can sound like pootie tang and they will sign you up. Make Deadly Kombination a name and a commodity, make an image in your town. The important people will find you. Your budget should be your only limit.
I hate to say it but try to invovle some nice looking chics, like getting your girl and her friends to pass out Deadly Kombination T-shirts and of course Cd's. Dudes wil take a CD from a dime piece more excitedly than from you and your boys. Your efforts should by mixed and layered with reptition, familiarity, but with surprises just like a track. Also you can't have no shame.

ill o.g.
yeah a website is a realy good idea, but I don't know if I have that kinda cash to keep one up. PLus I need someone to maintain it and keep it updated.. i think i'll wait til i have nice little following around my area b4 i try to get one started. It is on my list tho

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It wouldn't cost you that much considering that it's a band's website, which would only be a few pages. You'd be surprised at some of the low monthly rates that are out there.