Propellerheads Kong vs The MPC

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
So far it is not beating the MPC for me.

It could be user error, but I am finding some simple options missing from the Korg. It has awesome mute groups and maps over 16 pads like an MPC. But...

Where is the FULL LEVEL Option?

Where is the NOTE ON/ONE HIT Option?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Word, I still haven't found the time to play with it yet but from a quick look at it, it looked more kinda like a TR-808 on steroids...it obviously lets u do some crazy shit like model each drum sound via its own synthesis & and u can add samples on it to my knowledge too, but yeah I think even with a pad controller its got its place but certainly not comparable to a real MP....still gotta funk with it some more tho to fully vouch for that.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I will be getting maschine very soon.....

Once I finance this flipping mac pro.... :(

The MPC will always be the greatest thing to happen to hip-hop....But like everything else, it becomes obsolete..and other things achieve the same result with better feasibility...

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I will be getting maschine very soon.....

Once I finance this flipping mac pro.... :(

The MPC will always be the greatest thing to happen to hip-hop....But like everything else, it becomes obsolete..and other things achieve the same result with better feasibility...

Sucio, you getting a mac pro for real? I would luv to get one as well, but I just can't do it as long as pc's are cheaper.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Its user error, you can do both of those things. But I dont look at it as a replacement for an MPC anyway, maschine is a better replacement.

You know something none of the heads on Propeller's forums know.

No one has shown me how to do those 2 functions in Kong.

I have an MPC 2500 and Kong.

I was waiting to get rid of my MPC if Kong proved worthy. So far... no.

I cannot direct import MPC programs into Kong. You can create Kong programs just as fast in Kong as you can an MPC though. You just select 16 samples and import them and Kong just lays them all out for you.

There are also other things I see missing in Kong. Now Kong does a lot of things the MPC cannot. But the two functions I am not seeing in Kong are:

FULL LEVEL when you trigger pads. You can adjust velocity values. But on the MPC, I can just hit FULL LEVEL and when I hit the pads, the sound I trigger plays at full volume. You can't do that with loaded samples in Kong. Not from what I can tell so far. I could be missing something.

NOTE ON when you trigger pads. On an MPC you can set a pad to play for as long as you hold the pad. So if you have a bass sample that lasts like 10 seconds, you can set the MPC to play that sample for how long you hold the pad. So if you hold it for 3 seconds, it plays the sample for 3 seconds. If you hold it for 8 seconds, it plays for 8 seconds.

So far I am not seeing that in the Kong.

If anyone else knows different, let me know.

And it's not really a big deal but Kong has layered pads. But it doesn't have 4 sounds banks like MPC's do does it? Again, if it does, I am not seeing it. That's not a deal breaker but since you can have 64 sounds to choose from as opposed to the 16 Kong gives you. You can have velocity controlled pads to reach 64 sounds but you have to set that up... which takes a lot of time.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
I will try and figure all that out for you later. But I dont know if I would sell my MPC for Kong, just use them both together. The two workflows are really different. Oh and on another note arent the props forums just horrible. Everyone is just fighting with everyone else, and there is so much bad advice. I almost dont like going over there anymore.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
I will try and figure all that out for you later. But I dont know if I would sell my MPC for Kong, just use them both together. The two workflows are really different. Oh and on another note arent the props forums just horrible. Everyone is just fighting with everyone else, and there is so much bad advice. I almost dont like going over there anymore.

Yeah... I'm starting to see what you are talking about as I read their forums. Lots of shouting over there.

No rush or worries on those functions.

I just want to focus my workflow on something that will allow me to produce a lot faster so I can just worry about the art and not the science. The MPC is great. It's fast and functional. But that is what bothers me so much about the software and hardware debate. If KONG took the basic functions of the MPC and then slapped on the whole effects and automation package that KONG has now, it would be a beast.

And I guess that is where Maschine comes in. It has all that from what everyone is saying?

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
FULL LEVEL pad trigging in Kong

I was looking for a button to do it because that is how you do it on an MPC. But here is how you do it and a few other things in KONG.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
And I guess that is where Maschine comes in. It has all that from what everyone is saying?

Pretty much...I'm not the saviest when it comes to a MP..i used mine for basic sequencing and sampling and not much else,but everything i use to do in it i do about twice as fast if not faster on the maschine...any questions..holla at me

tekboi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I've heard alot of complaints about the NI Maschine from MPC fanboys. I'm not sure which way to go honestly. The kong as nice. I'm just looking for an alternative outside of reason that is equally as useful.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
thanks for the tip!

FWIW, i use the mpd32 to control kong, and it has the full level button on it that the mpc has. i just click the button, and i'm good to go.

NICE!

Now do you know if you can switch the pads between Note On and One Shot like you can on an MPC.

With Kong, it seems like you only have the option for a One Shot on triggering samples.