Props to the Master...

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Out of all of the albums you've heard which one(s) do you think the engineer did a great job of mastering, and why.... me?

Tribe Called Quest - Love Movement
the highs and mids and bass were prefect, just the way I like em.... the snares snapped hard, not hard enough to killer or tweeters, but just right... and the low and mids... have an overall nice thump to it.....

ghostmusic

ill o.g.
Common Like Water For Chocolate, to me, it sounds perfect. You know when ?uestlove get's involved it's gonna be hot. He makes the people around him better.

ill o.g.
i always thought chronic 01 and doggystyle were mixed flawlessly perfect. I just can think of one hi hat that i would of tweak different on any of those tracks.

Its hard for me to judge on the mixin though, cuz i usually just focus on the material. But i feel those two albums were perfect.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Freakwncy said:
Out of all of the albums you've heard which one(s) do you think the engineer did a great job of mastering, and why.... me?

Tribe Called Quest - Love Movement
the highs and mids and bass were prefect, just the way I like em.... the snares snapped hard, not hard enough to killer or tweeters, but just right... and the low and mids... have an overall nice thump to it.....

I have to agree wit ya on that. ATCQ is my favorite group and I think that album was flawlessly mixed and mastered. Even though it isn't their best album musically.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah that tribe album was mixed and mastered sick, also Slim Village - Volume 2 that mix was perfect dilla is the god of this shit.

also them BBE alubms welcome to detroit by dilla and Petestrumentals had a dope sound to em.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I got a million cats in mind...but, i think that the question is slightly flawed. Reason being: Most beat makers dont actually master their beats, they get some one else to do that for them....That doesnt mean of course that the beatmaker didnt have a great mix or a fantastic beat, but usually it just isnt a one-man-process...It can be sometimes, but its rare.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I always felt hip hop shouldnt be mastered or made to perfection - especially based on its history and upbringing.

So i love the natural reverb of a bathroom

Or the Crackle And Hiss Of Grandmas Turntable.

And make shift sampling techniques using karaoke machines and playskool tape recorders.

Haha - raw - Whoever can bring it straight from the heart, make the music how they WNAT You to hear it...and still make you vibe - thats the best "master" to me

cuz the HIs and Mids and Los - dont do anything if my spirit isnt moved.

I rarely get this from todays hip hop music.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DaSon said:
I always felt hip hop shouldnt be mastered or made to perfection - especially based on its history and upbringing.

So i love the natural reverb of a bathroom

Or the Crackle And Hiss Of Grandmas Turntable.

And make shift sampling techniques using karaoke machines and playskool tape recorders.

Haha - raw - Whoever can bring it straight from the heart, make the music how they WNAT You to hear it...and still make you vibe - thats the best "master" to me

cuz the HIs and Mids and Los - dont do anything if my spirit isnt moved.

I rarely get this from todays hip hop music.

actually you can still master something perfectly and make it sound raw....but there is a difference between the kind of raw sound where all the levels are muddy and the beauty of the sound is not clear, and intentional rawness that still has clarity, and is well eq'd......i think you will actually find if you put a well mastered hip hop album, like ATCQ-love movement lets say, and put it next to a well mastered electronica album, like Telefon Tel Aviv - Map of What is Effortless... you will find that love movement sounds faaar more raw....but is still mastered very well...........there are even effects that exist to create rawness, but in such a way that they dont muddy up the track, or cancel out quality mastering

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ I know what you mean.

Im speaking like, alot of people beleive "mastering" will make a song better.
Alot of Wu-Tang early material was great and unmastered- to me.

This whole high quality thing is going over board, becuase, since im referring to hip hop, it was never about that in the first place.

But leave it to beaver.

ya dig.

ill o.g.
The chronic, because it had my speakers thumpin, with just the right amount of air behind the vocals and instruments. Its a classic. Also, Goodie mob's Soul Food album. The low mids and highs on that album set the standard for southern music. It wasnt just bass the whole time.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
DueceMade Ent. said:
I got a million cats in mind...but, i think that the question is slightly flawed. Reason being: Most beat makers dont actually master their beats, they get some one else to do that for them....That doesnt mean of course that the beatmaker didnt have a great mix or a fantastic beat, but usually it just isnt a one-man-process...It can be sometimes, but its rare.

Nope you're reading it right Duece, we're talking about the Master, the people would clean things up... not beatmakers... the nerdy/non-nerdy guys that sit behind those knobs and faders and use all tht knewledge on hipass, lowpass, and, nan, and or gates and create a clearer listening vibe for us...`

members online