Protools and Cubase VS Sonar 6

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Hi yall.

I'm just wondering if any of you use Sonar 6 and if so, how it holds up compared to Protools and Cubase.
My friend has to toss his protools cuz the M-Box doesn't make updates for prorools any longer. And he hates Cubase with all his soul and were looking for something new.

Anyone?

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you are only able to use pc and not mac, sonar 6 is your best bet...its fantastic software.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
They don't update the M-box. that's the problem. They don't do updates for protools any more since the M-box 2 came out

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
And M-box is realeasing updates for their products?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea as dream police said the mbox is just a piece of hardware, obviously u cant upgrade that without just buying an mbox 2, but the software you can download the software from the digidesign site, you can constantly do that with each new version they bring out !

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
the other problem is the the protools 7.3 still doesn't allow for latency compensation and that messes up with his UAD cards

so, please. anyone. Cubase or sonar 6?

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the other problem is the the protools 7.3 still doesn't allow for latency compensation and that messes up with his UAD cards

so, please. anyone. Cubase or sonar 6?

feature wise, sound wise, sonar beats cubase hands down. cubase is a little easier to use so that is a definite plus, but sonar isnt difficult and its used by a lot of professionals. also if your partner has a UAD DSP card it will be able to utilize some of the 64 bit mix engine headroom that sonar provides, which cubase does not.

O

open mind

cubase and sonar are both really used a lot from pros, its a personal taste, tell your friend to work with both for one week then decide what he likes better.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
He's already pretty convinced that he hates Cubase and has always done so. He's never tried Soanr though, and neither have I.

Do you use Sonar, and if so. How do you think it holds up?

O

open mind

i think the new version of sonar is superior then cubase, it has more features.especialy for samplers.

*edit* i used sonar for sumtin like 2 weeks but then went back to fl studio iam just more comfortable with it i use it more then 2 years now.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
but if you read the whole page you will find that pro tools 7.3 works with Mbox so there ya go. I do agree that the lack of PDC sucks in pro tools. I suppose if I had to choose between Sonar and Cubase I would go Sonar. Have you thought about Logic?

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
It's to expencive to buy a MAC. Logic is the dream shoice though

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Yeah that seems very fair.

But my man is a very perticular dude. He is a pop producer and he's gonna upgrade his shit to all the newest components. The PC with the newest trippel core processor and 4 gig RAM is about 1700USD and the newest MAC is about 3 trillion bucks.

Alot of money that he don't wanna spend.

members online