Puttin out a Mixtape

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Whats good illmuzik? Im workin on my first mixtape right now and I was wondering who on the forum has put one out and what advice yall could give. I.E. Where is the best/cheapest duplication? How many have you sold, Etc.

Also, for budget sake... I think im gunna just mix my 2-tracks w/ the vocals and then master those.

Anyways, drop some knowledge about how you guys do your tapes, etc.

Thanks,

Alkota

C

Carpe Diem

One of the guys I produce for dropped his mixtape 2 weeks back, got it selling in the local record shop and 2 major UK hiphop distributors... We've sold over 150 in 7 days, the majority of sales coming the guys going out onto the street and just hustling it to anybody and everybody... Its worth sending the tape off to a few magazines for reviews too, we've a few reviews in the next month or 2 from some UK magazines, and it's all great exposure...

As for mixing and mastering, none of the tracks were done professionally and do sound rather dirty, but thats how we wanted it, just sounding raw and unpolished, remember after all, it is only a mixtape...

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Cool. Im definately gunna master it... the tape should be pretty hott, gunna be some real hip hop and I got some pretty good independent features so far. Ill keep you updated on how this goes, It might be a good future article.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
AS FAR AS DISRTIBUTION I BURN ALL MY SHIT ON THE COMPUTER. MAKE A iTUNES PLAYLIST AND STAY UP ALL NIGHT WIT THE 52X THAT'S THE CHEAPEST WAY IF YOU TRYIN TO CUT CORNERS. AND I PUT THE VOLUME CONTROL ON SO THE LEVELS DON'T JUMP ALL OVER THE PLACE. YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND GOOD DEALS ON CD'S AND AND CASES @ STAPLES AND COMP USA BEST BUY, SHIT LIKE THAT. OR U CAN SHELL OUT A COUPLE HUNDRED AND LET SOMEBODY ELSE DO IT.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sorry to interrupt, but i got the same dilemma going on soon....

i got a question though... is it possible to get graphics on the cd itself using a computer or would you have to get something else for that?

O

open mind

u can use cd template stickers for your printer.basically its possible to do it at home.ask the dude in your next pc store.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
iight thanks, cuz i saw something similiar to what you describing in compusa da other day, but it was only 20 dollars so i was kinda skeptical

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
get a epson stylus photo r300. they can print directly on the cd, but you gotta have inkjet printable cds. but if I was you, I would skip all that burning and printing and find the local mixtape cats, they'll have the hookup on cds graphics and all that. you gotta work them niggas though or else they gonna try to do the middleman shit and bump the price up 25%.

Get a consignment form, take ten cds into your local record store, talk to the manager and get your shit on consignment, if your talk game is vicious or you got a big name on the cover you can negotiate good placement. then move out to the burbs. hit every mom-n-pop store you can find. call them at least once or twice a month (or more if you moving units) so you can collect and reup them if they sold some. Depends on the store, but its gonna vary from $1.50 up to $3-4 that you'll be gettin for each cd they sell. it may seem like a bad deal but when you think about it, you can get 1000 cds with inserts and all that for 65-75 cents each from them mixtape cats.

throw an event. get some t-shirts printed up and pass out flyers telling cats where to buy your cd.

pay a well known dj to host your shit, the money you pay him will be worth it trust me. get some well known locals to spit if you can. if they got enough name in the area then break bread with them. put their names on the front cover

make sure your shit sounds crispy. if you can do it yourself then cool but if not then invest in it.

remember, you're building a brand, if your first product is wack then you might as well flip your name for the next cd and every one after that. put some dough behind it. get pre-orders from your friends/family/fans, flip your gear and buy it back when you sell the mixtape, get a line of credit, do whatever you need to get that doe and make that product right.

stay away from the latest instrumentals. use as many original beats as you can, and for the rest, use classic beats. that way its harder to date the mixtape, so it stays fresh longer. matter of fact, just do an album, but in mixtape format with the dj and bomb effects and cuts and all that shit.

and last, even if the mixtape is old to you, its new to most people, so keep hustlin that joint for the next year or 18 months. get your niggas on the block to hustle for you just cut them in on the profits. send them niggas to all the spots they normally go to but with your cds in the trunk, your shit bumpin on their system, and your t-shirt with your logo on their chest. everybody on here got a ready-made street team if you look at it that way.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
get a epson stylus photo r300. they can print directly on the cd, but you gotta have inkjet printable cds. but if I was you, I would skip all that burning and printing and find the local mixtape cats, they'll have the hookup on cds graphics and all that. you gotta work them niggas though or else they gonna try to do the middleman shit and bump the price up 25%.

Get a consignment form, take ten cds into your local record store, talk to the manager and get your shit on consignment, if your talk game is vicious or you got a big name on the cover you can negotiate good placement. then move out to the burbs. hit every mom-n-pop store you can find. call them at least once or twice a month (or more if you moving units) so you can collect and reup them if they sold some. Depends on the store, but its gonna vary from $1.50 up to $3-4 that you'll be gettin for each cd they sell. it may seem like a bad deal but when you think about it, you can get 1000 cds with inserts and all that for 65-75 cents each from them mixtape cats.

throw an event. get some t-shirts printed up and pass out flyers telling cats where to buy your cd.

pay a well known dj to host your shit, the money you pay him will be worth it trust me. get some well known locals to spit if you can. if they got enough name in the area then break bread with them. put their names on the front cover

make sure your shit sounds crispy. if you can do it yourself then cool but if not then invest in it.

remember, you're building a brand, if your first product is wack then you might as well flip your name for the next cd and every one after that. put some dough behind it. get pre-orders from your friends/family/fans, flip your gear and buy it back when you sell the mixtape, get a line of credit, do whatever you need to get that doe and make that product right.

stay away from the latest instrumentals. use as many original beats as you can, and for the rest, use classic beats. that way its harder to date the mixtape, so it stays fresh longer. matter of fact, just do an album, but in mixtape format with the dj and bomb effects and cuts and all that shit.

and last, even if the mixtape is old to you, its new to most people, so keep hustlin that joint for the next year or 18 months. get your niggas on the block to hustle for you just cut them in on the profits. send them niggas to all the spots they normally go to but with your cds in the trunk, your shit bumpin on their system, and your t-shirt with your logo on their chest. everybody on here got a ready-made street team if you look at it that way.

yeah props on the advice... helped alot