Q for 'diggers'. or w/e you're called

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
when you're digging, do u know all the songs you're picking ahead of time by looking at the cover, or do u just pick ones that look like they would be good, or do u know the artists, or do u get a chance to preview at a turntable in the shop. cuz i know some shops have turntables there, but the vinyls are overpriced.
ie the fleamarket, you'd be picking at random. ya? unless u know the songs.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Well, I wouldn't say it's completely random although you gotta go with your instincts. You look at the artists, label, style whatever. And of course the cheaper it is the more likely you'll take a chance on something you know nothing about. Half of the fun is finding hot shit off albums you know nothing about until you put the needle in the groove.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
That's what makes digging, digging. Sometimes you will know the artist, sometimes you won't. Just go with your gut. Sometimes you will regret purchases, but that's how you learn what to get and what to avoid.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
We've all got a bunch of stuff we wish we never bought... and another bunch of stuff we're glad we took a chance on. Alot of the time it's luck and that's the fun part.

glassJAw

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I go by the art cover. If it looks interesting maybe I can find one or two things on it. Works out well and isn't too bad since it's usually 1 dollar per record.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I go by style... for instance, I'd buy funk, classical, opera, reggae... but not hard rock, death metal, etc...

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Honestly it all depends. All the record shops around me wont let me listen to the records before I buy them. So I look at a number of things.

I look for dates, I usually stick between 1965 to 1975. But I have records that I have sampled from the 30's.

I also look at the covers. I might pick up a record because I like the cover. I look at the artist. I try and pick artists that aren't widely known.

But mostly I look at the producers of the record. They usally have who was on the strings, bass, keyboard, drums etc. on the back of records. There are certain people producers I look for when I go digging.

Just a couple things I usually do when I go digging.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I go by style... for instance, I'd buy funk, classical, opera, reggae... but not hard rock, death metal, etc...

Man..Do NOT sleep on rock and death metal..

TRUST ME....

I've found some GEMS in that genre (ie, see January 2009 Beat this).

=x

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Most of the time ill just dig based on covers or the name of the song. If im in a record shop and they have a turntable ill do a quick listen of each record. If im in a thrift store then of course im just grabbin shyt. Either way i still find some interesting music.