Quality or Quantity

def1nition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was listenin to Kanye West's song spaceship he has a line like "Lock yourself in a room doin 5 beats a day for 3 summers" I was thinkin thats tight to make five beats a day but if I made 5 beats a day they would probly all sound like shit. I think it's better to spend time on your tracks perfect them, then go to the next track I may only make a couple of tracks, that I finish and record in a week, but I try to make them all as tight as possible. I try not to have a quota some days I can make 2 or three tracks in a day but sometimes it may take me more than a day to finish a track. Some people may think it's better to finish as much tracks as possible, it's just my personal preference to spend time perfecting each track.

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think when you are learning the basics, quanity, after you can actaully make a good beat, then you shoot for quality and perfection. thats my opinion tho

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
If you can afford to lock yourself down in the summer hehe i gots to work to get by..
besides that i think what he means is, you should push your self and always try to break your current limits, so making dope beats dont happen by accident, but finding out how to get your shit to sound right..
When you achieve that it will be much easier to put out a larger amount of beats that have a steady - dope sound.. but i didnt need kanye to tell me that hehehe.

E

Equality 7-2521

i was asking myslef the same question not long ago.

i couldnt understand how cats can produce beats in under a week. i just couldnt do it. it always toom me like 4 weeks or some shit.

but ive now found that the key is to find your style. when you find out your personal style and method of making beats (not meaning that you dont experiment and try shit out) it will make it much easier to make dope beats quickly.

try to think about what style of beats you want to make and whether they are more suited to sampling or keyboards etc.

but yo on the real i think quality and quantity are important. if your shit is wack, cats wont want to listen to it....unless they are wack cats.

and if you dont get shit finished you wont be able to keepo your foot in the door

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
I agree with what pboyproducer said. When I first started makin beatz I set my own goal at one beat a day. and i stuck with that for about 2 years give or take a day maybe. Now i focus on the quality of a beat more so. I feel like you got to find your niche first then perfect it. but everybody's different.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
just make the best beats you can make, regardless of the time it takes. all this "5 beats a day' is great and all, but the majority of those who tell me that, their beats show how little time they put into it. i could do 5 beats a day, easy, but if any of you have heard my production, they wouldnt be anywhere near that level at 5 a day. i spend a lot of time just mixing and adjusting levels and doing what little "mastering" i can do to it. i would, (and do) just focus on the overall quality of the music itself. forget the number of tracks you make per day.

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I can understand taking the five-beats-a-day approach because sometimes it's that fifth beat that is the winner. But after sequencing a ton of little tunes, when I finally find the one that I think has potential, that's when I stop making five a day and concentrate on the one until it's finished. So I guess I start with quantity and then shift to quality on a selected few.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it's all method. with computer sequencers you can save scetch pad type project files and have basic boom baps to work with and learn all sampling techniques these things make making beats alot faster........ same with an mpc you can chop and change have your favourite boom bap to start with then use all your samples etc. with the 2nd sequence function (where they play back at the same time) i don't use an mpc anymore but i used to do this when i had an idea of a few sample chops i wanted to lay down quick or bass lines..... your boom bap rhythm of course will be modified and sounds changed every time but this still saves alot of time

members online

No members online now.