Quality Quality Quality!!!

deanero

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I know mixing and mastering is important for quality purposes. My question... I'm using FL Studio and I just can't get the beat to really bang when I pump up the volume!!! My mentor makes beats in Logic and his bang like theres no tommorow! Is it the pgrm I'm using or is there a plugin that can get that beat to bang? I keep maxing out my lows in attempt to get it to hit hard!

Someone help please!

D

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I know mixing and mastering is important for quality purposes. My question... I'm using FL Studio and I just can't get the beat to really bang when I pump up the volume!!! My mentor makes beats in Logic and his bang like theres no tommorow! Is it the pgrm I'm using or is there a plugin that can get that beat to bang? I keep maxing out my lows in attempt to get it to hit hard!

Someone help please!

D

It's definitely not the program because some of the latest "hitz/bangers" have be produced with FL. Sometimes you get out what you put in, in other words are you using "top notch" sounds? If you are then you need to read up on mixing & mastering. If not get your sound catalog right and then do what I just mentioned. Search here on ILL and on the net worldwide. They're is a ton of help right here if use the search button up there (top right hand corner of the page).

Mixing is not for the faint of heart! Just as sure and you can create a great finished product you can also ruin it if you don't know what you're doing. This shit takes practice and patience. It WILL NOT come to you over night or a few weeks, but if you're serious and interested in getting it right you'll be happy you put in the time and effort.

As far as plugins go you should start with a standard waves bundle (Gold or Diamond) but remember neither will do you any good if you don't get the knowledge first!

Good luck!

p.s. get a ILLMUZIK V.I.P membership or see me via PM's! The goods are "in the upper room" a.k.a VIP baby! lmao!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
yeah it aint the program ...... its basically ur sound choices and mixing that gets that knock ... the former even more than the latter.

Very true.. I learned that about a year ago or so..
Now I have like a 40 gig collection of stuff..Albeit not all good, lol.
The Holmz kit is about the end all be all tho.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
lol .... those are actualy some really fierce drumz though lol .. im thinking about developing my own drumkit .. nothing but super hard hot and crispy joints.. none of that generic crap u find evrywhere else.... the problem is its so easy for catz to bootleg ur shit ... but ill prolly give it go anyway ... lookout for those soon!!!!!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.

Someone help please!

D

This might help you out.

LAYERING KICK DRUMS
Consider layering your kick drum. For example. Take a soft 808 kick, which has more "wash" to it, and then add a little "click" with another sample (like a Power kit kick.) Mix these two together. Add more kick drums to that mix that add different "color" to the kick. You NEVER want to add two similar kicks, like two flubbery kicks or two "clicky" kicks, because doubling up in that respect goes against what you're trying to do.

For example, layer your kick like this (either in MIDI, or with an audio sample. Each kick is on a different track:)

1. 808 kick
2. Power kit (kick)
3. Strong 909 kick
4. Hiphop kit (kick)

EQ'ING KICK DRUMS
If there is a nice bassline, you want your kicks to cut through the mix, so I would generally rolloff at 150 Hz. That means that everything under 150Hz for the kick drum you're mixing is cut "out" of your mix. This in turn, let's your bassline fit better into the mix.

A strong kick that doesn't sound too deep, but has presence (like a power kick) combined with a deeper bassier kick drum, will make your beats hit harder.

Don't try to get involved in EQ'ing kicks below 150Hz, it takes really good monitors to sculpt the right tone. Try something simpler for now.

BASSLINE
If you have a bassline, you probably want to notch the EQ where you rolloff your kick. You definitely don't want the kick to compete with the bassline. You want everything to sound "clear."

Consider yourself lucky -- I have to mix guitars with heavy distortion from time to time, and a multitude of other instruments in it. EQ'ing and mixing that is a bitch and a half.

Good luck!

R

raven2t2

I'll also add that a limiter like the waves L2 can help raise the overall volume of your track. I usually use the L2 or Isotope Ozone on my master fader to get my track up to "commercial level." I don't recommend doing too much compression or limiting if you intend to get the track sent in for mixing or mastering though. The Smack compressor plug-in along with the SSL suite helped me immensely on getting my drum tracks knockin

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Your sounds and the eq on those sounds are important. However, you may also want to consider the way your beats are actually hitting, in terms of rhythm, especially if you're talking abou 'popping'. For example I'm sure Dre has the best sounds you can get, but his beats often have a lot of 'air' in between the notes....that's what really makes the groove and gives that popping sound.

H

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Does anyone know if I can run the Waves Plugins (such as the L2 or L3) in FL studio, or if I have to do that in Pro Tools?

A plugin is a plugin! FL Studio allows them so of course you can. U know those pugins go on your master fader right? OKKKKKKKKKK