question about a possible opportunity

Emeezy

Etrack Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
so i get an email from this guy i have never met before saying he has heard some of my beats.....he wants me to make a beat for his mixtape that he says is featuring artists such as: The Game, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Bone Thugz, Obie Trice, Jadakiss.....etc. He doesnt want to give me money for it but he will give me copies of the mixtape to distribute with promo materials..(wanting me to do work for him basically) ad space in the booklet promoting my beats and other services, and a spot on his website to promote my work. He says i am already guaranteed a spot on the mixtape for one of my beats and he said Nas' Dj will be adding cuts to my beat....This sounds nice and all, I havent ever sold a beat yet, nor have i worked with anyone outside of my local area....He tells me he has listened to all the beats that i have online and he likes them, but they arent what he is looking for?, he says he wants something that "STANDS OUT"...why none of my other beats dont stand out i dont know, since he said he likes them.....He says he will give me a month to make a beat for the mixtape....whould you guys do this??? keep in mind i dont get paid anything for this...other than some possible promo material and proof that i have done something with music other than sit here and vibe to my own shit all day....it seems a little shady but at the same time, i have never been approached with something like this...what do you think???

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
hell. fuckin. no.

he's offereing you ad space? fuck that. how did he find you? the internet, so ur obviously doin fine by that. if he dont give up the green then you dont need to be bothered with him. theres plenty of sites with webspace that u can advertise on for free. no need to make a beat for a mostl ikely non existent mixtape (thus no adspace) and website.

Emeezy

Etrack Productions
ill o.g.
i hear ya on that...i kinda seems like this cat has a different motive other than a fuckin no name mixtape....hes tryin to name drop to get me to bite....i kinda feel like gassin him up to see what i can get outta this dude

doesnt it seem shady as hell that hes droppin all these names but yet he come to some no name beat maker for a beat for a mixtape??

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
yea it seems shady that All he did was drop names, no title? no theme? no details about the tape? shit did he even leave his own name?

what makes me really suspicicous about dude is how he seems so demanding and matter of fact. you have a month to make him a beat. that seems to me that he's trying to give you a deadline to create the image of importance and authority to give you the impression that he's the real deal. I could be over thinkin that, but i dunno. it seems madd risky. I would play wit dude. see what he comes at you with next.

i think you should start actin like the big dog, like you ghost for scott storch and shit. and see if he keeps his demeanor or if it changes a little.

Emeezy

Etrack Productions
ill o.g.
well actually he has emailed me like 4 times, hea gave me his AIM name and his website that will be devoted for the mixtape...the thing that literally pissed me off was he sent me a song that he wanted my beat to sound like. i was like damn bro you want a beat from me you will get what i fuckin make, im not gonna make a beat like some other cat...not for free at least. his last email was asking me if i could help him make his website, lol....hes tellin me that i need to send him a couple drafts of my beat cause even snoop's producer missed the "mark"..haha i know this may have been a prety stupid question but i felt i needed more feedback on what yall think and it could probably help other people who are tryin to get out there so they dont get takin by a jackass...

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
nah it was a good question, cuz shit like this happens all the time.

and dude asked if you could help wit his website???? HAHAHHA helll nahh. that took his profesionalism down 3 notches. knockin it down to negative 6.

and if snoop is still wit star track... isnt his producers the neptunes? i'm aware of how much it costs to get a neptunes beat. you spit on that shit regardless of if it hits the "mark" or not.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
What was the original email like? Did it mention your name at all? Or does it look like spam?

Either way, that shit looks shady and totally unprofessional.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
Just make sure its legit before you proceed. Asking us does nothing because we don't even know who you are talking about.

I know a few people who wanted to get in the game and put together mixtapes with bigger name artists etc. Looking to attract people with the names ya know? It could be dudes first time putting something together or he could just be a moron. You never know what the deal is straight off. I have come into contact with labels that were 100% legit, yet the owners were morons.

Just investigate..

Emeezy

Etrack Productions
ill o.g.
Nah, he never asked for my phone number....i was talkin to him last night again and i pretty much told him that im not feelin that comfortable just given him one of my beats and just sit here and wait to see a mixtape...i found out he was from Austrailia...hes tellin me its gonna be sold world wide and every record label is gonna hear it...when i told him it felt shady he was like..well im not given you anything for your beats cause this is non profit....(yet he is selling it everywhere?)

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
politely say, thanks but no thanks, and perhaps another time, as you have a busy schedule. that way if dude proves to be legit you still have that potential tie.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I agree with cold truth.

The whole thing doesnt seem sound. Normally when someone likes your beats, they buy the one they fucking liked. Not some imaginary "your stuff is good but i'll give you a month to prove to ME (random stranger man) that you have what it takes to impress him. Fuck that, he wants you sweatin him like he deserves that type treatment from you. Keep your pride an decline.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Emeezy said:
what do you think???

Well, if you're seriously considering the idea, I would get the dude's website and see what other releases he has, and his track record and things like that.

If you're already guaranteed a spot on the mixtape based on your current body-of-work, then why are you being given a month to make this "Grand master beat" (lol)
Believe me, no mixtape DJ I have ever met is waiting for one beat or whatever, they usually are the keep-it-movin' types because they deal with exclusives, which means they probably won't be exclusive for too long.

Anybody can get a gang of MP3's together and put out a mixtape and say The Game, Tech, Jada, Mos, etc. is gonna be featured on it.

If you do it,just look at it as an opportunity to get your music out there, but it seems like you're thinking you're gonna get some sort of fame from it, which isn't true.

99% of the time, people who are doing big things aren't gonna explain those big things to people who aren't on their level, and if he was a big-shot mixtape cat, he can easily get beats for his projects, try to build with the dude and find out more about him, or just keep it movin. Peace.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^ as usual on the money.
No diss to the Aussies but what is homeboy doin a mixtape with NAS and Snoop and everyone from austalia for?
Seems it would be a little closer, I mean I know it can be done but sounds shady to me.
I'd watch this cat and definately check the track record.
Him askin you to do his sit(for free I guess) shows he's not as on top of his game as he wants you to think!!! HAHA!! I hate Sharks!!

members online