Question about processing a sample

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hi,

I'm working on recreating a track for someone who wants to flip the track and do a different version of it. I'm working with the same sample as the original track did, but here's my problem.

I'm trying to flip this sample right, and in the track we're recreating, the piano and percussion from the sample is loud, but the guitars and bass are much quieter. In the sample used by this track they're the same volume. I tried equing the sample in a million ways, there was no way to get the piano/perc sound loud without bringing up the guitars in the same frequency range. I tried to spilt the sample in two and really gut them, one for the higher freqs, one for the lower, and still can't get these instruments seperated, though on the original track using this sample they managed to do this somehow. I even tried putting an automated filter on one or both of the samples that opens and closes when different parts take place, still no dice.

I'm wondering, is there some kind of spectral filtering or editing I can do to the sample to try and seperate out two sounds sharing a similar frequency range?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

DaWorldFamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If u are editing in Soundforge or something similiar, u can seperate the left/right chanels and maybe the sounds u r looking for are left/right. That may help. Also if u have a vocal remover plugin, it may help to bring those sounds out and surpress the shit u don't want.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
1. there is a program called photosounder that works great if you have photoshop (a search here or google)

2. it might possibly been replayed, maybe with the exact same gear as the sample then Remixed. I've read interviews where a producer sat there and auditioned hundreds of instrumend and spent hour/days mixing the record, layering different instruments, etc. try and do some reseach of the original sample of how it was recorded.

3. you could hire a professional to do this for you.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Are you sure the joint your trying to recreate is "entirely" just the sample being manipulated?
Only asking because often soft synths or real synths, etc. are played in conjunction with the sample to create a more gelled sound.

Heres something you could try though if its only the sample for sure:

1. Have your main sample play on one track.
2. Now either copy that same audio verbatim to another new track or buss out the original track to an auxiliary channel where you can instantiate an EQ and maybe a compressor to bring the softer parts up more equally.
3. Adjust to taste. ie. If your requiring more bass frequencies try shelving out all the stuff that doesn't exist in that spectrum and then compress that signal.
4. The result is basically a parallel EQ and Compression routing scenario that should most likely work pretty well depending on how you treat the copied track or auxiliary buss.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
check the inlay notes on the track and see if he had sample clearance. if so they might have had it in multi track form to sample. ive heard of that happening before when purchasing samples.