Question about registering yourself as a DJ or Producer

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
I think my question is gonna lean towards the DJ aspect of this.

I know I've been DJ'n for the last 7-8 years now and there's always this question that pops up in my head every now and then but I tend to forget about it most of the time. A majority of the gigs I get, pays me in cash and once in a while, I get checks. I've been doing clubs, lounges, bars since I started DJ'n and that was going pretty good. But lately I've gotten a lot of gigs doing small parties such as birthdays, baby showers, graduations, and sometimes weddings. Those gigs also pays me in cash. So, i guess my question is....

Should I register myself as a DJ in my city?
Is there a way to register your name legally?
Should I register myself as a business so I can have a more professional appeal?
Where do I go to do all of this?
Or should I just say "Screw it!" and just do what I've been doing now?

It's not anything major though. I just want to get some ideas of what I should do about it.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Should I register myself as a business so I can have a more professional appeal?

Register yourself as a business under your DJ name. You can do this at your local chamber of commerce.

The easy way is as a Proprietary Owner which is dirt cheap but means you can be sued and they can take what you own. Or you register as an LLC and of you get sued they can just take your DJ Business. That costs varies usually somewhere around 300 bux.

Then..... join a networking group with the Chamber of Commerce. I would stick with the young crowd, so maybe your Junior Chamber Club. Membership varies, maybe around 200 bux. But what happens is, all of the people in the club are usually business heads. And they are usually paid and they always have fund raisers which are usually just parties that charge at the door and they always need DJs for their events.

If you have a business card, pass it out at a few of the meetings and the events...

Be ready to get booked for all kinds of events.

Save all your income and expenses including gas and food and cost of equipment and be ready to file some taxes.

When I worked at the Wherehouse Music store, this cat used to come in slanging mixtapes on consignment. He went "corporate" and he has a staff of like 4 or 5 DJs and they cover everything from weddings, radio, clubs to corporate events. If you want a template to follow, his is it. Check out his site and how he does it up.

http://www.al3.com/al32009/intronew.htm

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I think my question is gonna lean towards the DJ aspect of this.

I know I've been DJ'n for the last 7-8 years now and there's always this question that pops up in my head every now and then but I tend to forget about it most of the time. A majority of the gigs I get, pays me in cash and once in a while, I get checks. I've been doing clubs, lounges, bars since I started DJ'n and that was going pretty good. But lately I've gotten a lot of gigs doing small parties such as birthdays, baby showers, graduations, and sometimes weddings. Those gigs also pays me in cash. So, i guess my question is....

Or should I just say "Screw it!" and just do what I've been doing now?

It's not anything major though. I just want to get some ideas of what I should do about it.

I'm with Relic....don't let the tax man in unless you get picked up by an Artist to go on tour or something. Even in that case you can wait until you get back off tour to do so. Keep the GOV out for as long as you can.

I may be GOV LEGITIMIZING my company in the future because I'm starting a business with about 4 other DJ's specializing in Video DJing, shooting commercials spots for these clubs etc. If I can lock down a about 4 contracts with some good clubs I'll go legit because I'll be receiving business corporate checks. If they report to the GOV that they're paying my company for a service OF COURSE, I'll have to report receiving it! If it was all cash with no receipt I'll keep saying "F THE GOV"!

R

Reenie08

Any advice for female djs? and people just starting out?

members online