Question For God.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Out of curiosity, do you ever check out the battles and showcases on Illmuzik hunting for music or artists?

It's something that's interested me for a while.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
The internet is a great area to recruit prospective artists in any field of music. Many artists think that people will just come to them, instead of actively investing in their careers with real time, money and attempting to make things happen, like actively pursuing representation (like management) by making press kits, making music that fits into a specific commercial (or underground) niche.

Most people don't even do that. The ones that do immediately give up because it is too expensive emotionally, financially and timewise to follow their dreams. I understand, real life is a bitch sometimes. Others believe their skills are a gift and people should swoon at their feet rather than pursuing the same course.

I keep stressing "differentiation." That's one of the primary reasons I believe Asher Roth was signed. True he sounds like an Eminem clone, but his image is that of a frat guy that raps. I've never seen that angle in my life, and it'll sell well.

How are you different? Push your comfort zones. Have you rapped over the beat of a beefed up Cure song? What about taking Def Leppard and pushing some lyrics over that? Does it sound like shit, does it sound dope? Who knows? All I know is that music, like the world, keeps changing. Push yourself and strive to differentiate yourself from the thousands of UGK and Lil' Wayne clones out there.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
To be honest, I haven't pushed my music out too much yet. I'm working on that at the moment. I've just self released an EP and the MC I did it with is touring and promoting and selling on the road. I've given Cell2dee a link to my EP, along with cover art etc to start spreading over different message boards as a 'pirate' copy.

I'm working on and contacting different websites, labels and magazines to try and get press and general familiarity. I'm mainly targeting the sites and blogs that get the most traffic in the Australian Hip Hop niche.

That being said, I believe my music stands out in the Australian market, partially due to the fact that I DO sample unusual sources, definitely different to any other producer I know.

I'm also working with a few more established acts in Australia in order to spread my name via their projects, as well as getting them on board for an EP I plan on releasing free via the internet.

We've gotten a press release written up for us by the person voted Australian Hip Hop blogger of the year and we're definitely working on pushing our ep and in turn our individual names and hopefully in the future, our own projects.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
To be honest, I haven't pushed my music out too much yet. I'm working on that at the moment. I've just self released an EP and the MC I did it with is touring and promoting and selling on the road. I've given Cell2dee a link to my EP, along with cover art etc to start spreading over different message boards as a 'pirate' copy.

I'm working on and contacting different websites, labels and magazines to try and get press and general familiarity. I'm mainly targeting the sites and blogs that get the most traffic in the Australian Hip Hop niche.

That being said, I believe my music stands out in the Australian market, partially due to the fact that I DO sample unusual sources, definitely different to any other producer I know.

I'm also working with a few more established acts in Australia in order to spread my name via their projects, as well as getting them on board for an EP I plan on releasing free via the internet.

We've gotten a press release written up for us by the person voted Australian Hip Hop blogger of the year and we're definitely working on pushing our ep and in turn our individual names and hopefully in the future, our own projects.

What I'm saying is simply common sense not something that requires a lot of experience or knowledge. We, as human beings, attempt to rationalize the predicaments we are in so we can be comfortable with our decisions, even if they are not objectively sound.

For example, why are you simply focusing on the internet? Have you created a real promo kit that you can drop off w/labels? For example, are you networking in person with industry individuals IRL?

If you have to go to the key music center in Australia (Sydney probably) and it is a feasible decision, then focus on that. The internet is generally used by people as an excuse for passivity to trick themselves into thinking they're achieving their objective. I'm definitely not knocking the internet, but sitting down face to face with a person and vibing with them over a lunch at a nice restaurant is better than any Twitter or "friending" feature (although THOSE work great too - when it's used not as an EXCUSE but in a meaningful fashion.)

Relationships are the backbone of a successful career - in ANY job. If you don't have good social skills, buy some books, brush up and try it. You can succeed if you're levelheaded and put your mind to it (and luck runs its course :)

Take care.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
I appreciate that advice God. I'm trying to prepare an actual kit to send to labels etc, but it's slow going.

Unfortunately, i'm living in Norway now, so i'm relying on my brother quite heavily to be the personal front in Australia, so that can be a little difficult, especially motivating him. haha.

I'm very good friends with a few guys who've recently signed with Obese Records, which is the premier Hip Hop label in Australia and i'm hoping to use those relationships for a little leverage, whether it be recommendations, or just quotes and references on our promo kit.

One thing I haven't done yet is become active in the Norwegian Hip Hop scene, nor have I established any relationships with labels, or even found out what labels are active.

It's something i'm thinking about doing, but our plans were just to stick to Australia for the mean time and, unfortunately, I no longer live there, so face to face meetings is a little hard.

Again, thank you for the ideas and advice.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
The internet is a great area to recruit prospective artists in any field of music. Many artists think that people will just come to them, instead of actively investing in their careers with real time, money and attempting to make things happen, like actively pursuing representation (like management) by making press kits, making music that fits into a specific commercial (or underground) niche.

Most people don't even do that. The ones that do immediately give up because it is too expensive emotionally, financially and timewise to follow their dreams. I understand, real life is a bitch sometimes. Others believe their skills are a gift and people should swoon at their feet rather than pursuing the same course.

I keep stressing "differentiation." That's one of the primary reasons I believe Asher Roth was signed. True he sounds like an Eminem clone, but his image is that of a frat guy that raps. I've never seen that angle in my life, and it'll sell well.

How are you different? Push your comfort zones. Have you rapped over the beat of a beefed up Cure song? What about taking Def Leppard and pushing some lyrics over that? Does it sound like shit, does it sound dope? Who knows? All I know is that music, like the world, keeps changing. Push yourself and strive to differentiate yourself from the thousands of UGK and Lil' Wayne clones out there.

^ True story. But I really do like how he didn't actually answer the question... But he dodged it so well.. I'm actually impressed.... That's a politician-type answer.. Good work! ^5

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I appreciate that advice God. I'm trying to prepare an actual kit to send to labels etc, but it's slow going.

Unfortunately, i'm living in Norway now, so i'm relying on my brother quite heavily to be the personal front in Australia, so that can be a little difficult, especially motivating him. haha.

I'm very good friends with a few guys who've recently signed with Obese Records, which is the premier Hip Hop label in Australia and i'm hoping to use those relationships for a little leverage, whether it be recommendations, or just quotes and references on our promo kit.

One thing I haven't done yet is become active in the Norwegian Hip Hop scene, nor have I established any relationships with labels, or even found out what labels are active.

It's something i'm thinking about doing, but our plans were just to stick to Australia for the mean time and, unfortunately, I no longer live there, so face to face meetings is a little hard.

It's not advice, read my sig. Don't make any decisions based on my post.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.

Lots of good discussion. I'll add on. From your posts in this thread, you seem to view it as a downside or a negative that you currently live in Norway.

The point I want you to consider is that if your overall gameplan isn't thought out and developed to accompany a good quality sample of your work, then it doesn't matter where you live, the results will be the same.

LA, NYC, Nashville, Miami, and most recently Atlanta are filled with people who decided to uproot themselves and move to chase a dream without first deciding on a plan.
It bothers me to see people with exceptional talent hit roadblocks because they lack direction, so please consider the following:

If you're not ready, I could put you in the same room with the owner of Obese Records, and he may ask you to make him some coffee. -Why??- Because you haven't taken any action to make him consider you as a serious artist or asset for his business.

To be taken seriously or at least seen in a different light, you must ask yourself:
What makes what I do different from everyone else?
What are some ways that I can communicate this difference?

Bloom where you're planted. If you move to Australia, meet with Obese and say "I'm from Norway", the first logical action any person would research is "What is his track record in his hometown?"

To take it a step further, you have a great advantage that you could leverage simply because you're part of a international producer community. I'm certain people on Illmuzik will collaborate with you on projects. It helps boost your profile locally, trust me on this.

When it's all said and done, the work you put in is the result you're left with. Good luck and post your progress and results.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Lots of good discussion. I'll add on. From your posts in this thread, you seem to view it as a downside or a negative that you currently live in Norway.

The point I want you to consider is that if your overall gameplan isn't thought out and developed to accompany a good quality sample of your work, then it doesn't matter where you live, the results will be the same.

LA, NYC, Nashville, Miami, and most recently Atlanta are filled with people who decided to uproot themselves and move to chase a dream without first deciding on a plan.
It bothers me to see people with exceptional talent hit roadblocks because they lack direction, so please consider the following:

If you're not ready, I could put you in the same room with the owner of Obese Records, and he may ask you to make him some coffee. -Why??- Because you haven't taken any action to make him consider you as a serious artist or asset for his business.

To be taken seriously or at least seen in a different light, you must ask yourself:
What makes what I do different from everyone else?
What are some ways that I can communicate this difference?

Bloom where you're planted. If you move to Australia, meet with Obese and say "I'm from Norway", the first logical action any person would research is "What is his track record in his hometown?"

To take it a step further, you have a great advantage that you could leverage simply because you're part of a international producer community. I'm certain people on Illmuzik will collaborate with you on projects. It helps boost your profile locally, trust me on this.

When it's all said and done, the work you put in is the result you're left with. Good luck and post your progress and results.

Thanks a lot Shadeed.

I don't necessary see living in Norway as a bad thing for my music, just a speed bump. I'm originally from Australia, so ofcourse, that's where my heart lies musically, but that being said, to be heard internationally, and especially now in Norway, would be great for me.

Also, i'd love to collaborate with some of the Illmuzik community. It can only be good for all parties involved. Rotation from both sets of fans could never be a bad thing.

I think my biggest set back is that I don't invest the time into making myself known and giving my name and my music a presence in the minds of consumers. I have the attention of quite a few well known acts in Australia, it's just the fans I haven't quite convinced. haha.

dirtEjerz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the internets cool, but some of the best people to colaborate with are the artists that come from the same block as you.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
I collaborated with a fool who lived across the hall from me for 20 years. haha.

The people I live near are not quite to my taste. Or they have no talent.

Possibly moving to Sydney though, so we'll see. I know a lot of talented people down there. Will be living with a couple actually.

members online