Question for those of you who have managers or who may be a manager

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Okay, so I'm in the works of doing business with a management company but I don't know too too much about the management process and how much they are entitled to, being as tho I've been doing everything on my own thus far. I do know if your not making money they don't make money. So this company tells me they can shop my beats to industry artist but they would want 20% of gross sales if I land a placement on a commercial project however, most of these artist want free beats. I'm looking at the long term business position that this could possibly put me in, yea giving free beats away is frowned upon though this could bring me more clients and money. My question is, is 20% too much and should I shop around? Though I was not shopping for a manager but for clients. Now this happened in the process of building a relationship with one of their up and coming artist after I asked could they refer other artist that are looking for beats. I've heard that the standard is 10% but again I don't know too much about the Artist management process nor how much they are entitled to. Can someone help me on this?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
20% is about right for an artist that isn't established...but definitely have someone look over the contract.....

As what DP said....protect yourself....don't set yourself up...

If you do well and start making some $$$, then you can renegotiate the percentage to something lower than 20% when the contract is fulfilled.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Now I hav'nt got a contract yet, I've been stalling for the last 3 days tho I feel like a manger at least now is now viable for me but to just have an entertainment lawyer. cause most artist are at arms reach using the net.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Get an entertainment lawyer NOW and make sure he is in your corner, do NOT use there lawyer. Have him look over all the contracts to make sure you are not getting screwed. But of the top of my head %20 does not seem totally out of line.

^^ Yup

Ive always heard 20 also.

The only new info I can post about this is, take them for a spin, a demo period. And if you guys gel and you like them, go into longer term talks

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
If you're not smart about contracts - and even if you are - DEFO have a lawyer (is possible) look over the contracts.

Contracts can fuck you RIGHT over. Be careful, very careful signing anything granting 'exclusive' rights. Be sure of what the definitions of certain words are. How long each part of the contract lasts for. There's a lot to beware of.

20% seems reasonable.

You gotta think about however, if the management will be able to do much for you.

Because if you have 20% going to management, then perhaps you get a publisher and have 10-25% going to them, then if you sign a recording deal... etc.

Just be sure you're clear on what you're signing up to. And be careful of little tricks that give them the right to change the terms however/whenever they want.

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
20% is legit. Just make sure its a non exclusive deal. I've had a few management deals over the years that never amounted to shit. My best placements and opportunities were self made. Get a manager when you a literally over run with business and can't focus on music. Until then, stay away from "management"

members online