Question for you digging dewds...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
When you throw a record on the turntable and start listening.....

How long do you listen to each track? Do you listen to the entire thing? Skip through it?

Man..I had the record "The Ink Spots Greatest Hits". I shit you not, the entire album was the same melody, just pitched differently and at somewhat different tempos.....I only listened to the first side...and it's becoming a chip bowl. LOL (I saw someone do that shit online, looks tempting).

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
I'm guilty of listening to the first 30 seconds to see if anything grabs me. If it does, I take the whole track and chop it all up pretty thoroughly to try and get all I can out of it.

T

The Arkitekt

I e-dig, usually i'll just put the track on and listen to it while i'm doin something else and I take a mental note if something comes up, if i'm feelin lazy I might just skip through it. If I hear something really crazy I might just chop it up right there without listening to the whole thing

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I dont have time anymore to listen through every record these days, I flip through the records quickly, if the samples/music suck I just throw it out.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I e-dig, usually i'll just put the track on and listen to it while i'm doin something else and I take a mental note if something comes up, if i'm feelin lazy I might just skip through it. If I hear something really crazy I might just chop it up right there without listening to the whole thing

Same here.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I do both...E dig and go thru vinyl...

And if the initial melody doesn't catch me..I skip thru the song....I'm not saying if the intro has something to chop or not...Just that if it doesn't sound pleasing..I most likely skip...

Most of my e-digging comes from when I hear a song on the radio, elevator, supermarket, etc. And I already know what to chop up....

And I like large, supple breasts.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Depends on what mood I'm in, If i'm looking for something specific then I'll skip through to find it. If it's a new record I'll give it a full listen.

same here

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
haha yea thats part of the producer's ear curse

That's the truth. I hear someone playing something from somewhere in some street and I get so annoyed that I can never find it again as I don't know the name of the artist or the song, haha.

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's the truth. I hear someone playing something from somewhere in some street and I get so annoyed that I can never find it again as I don't know the name of the artist or the song, haha.

if you have an iphone or the new itouch (maybe) then dl this program. point the mic to the music and run the program and it'll record the clip if you don't have wifi. once you get to wifi it'll identify the song (maybe through itunes database?). i havent tried this, but when u find the program look at the reviews. i havent seen anyone say it hasn't worked even once. amazing eh.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
if you have an iphone or the new itouch (maybe) then dl this program. point the mic to the music and run the program and it'll record the clip if you don't have wifi. once you get to wifi it'll identify the song (maybe through itunes database?). i havent tried this, but when u find the program look at the reviews. i havent seen anyone say it hasn't worked even once. amazing eh.

Yea, i've heard about that. Sounds amazing.

Unfortunately, i'm too broke to buy an iphone, haha. I'm still using my old iPod video from 2005 I think.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
I listen to the first 30 seconds or so, and if it's good then I'll record the whole track and just pick parts out on the computer to listen to. If the first 30 seconds suck, then I'll skip through the track 4 or 5 times and if there's nothing then I just skip to the next track.

Funny, I was gonna ask this same question the other day.

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wish I had time to sit back and listen to music like cats did in the 70's n shyt. If im gonna sample the song ,i try to listen to the whole song.

Peace

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
I use to only listen to the beginning of the track but now I will skip my needle accross the whole song. I find there are better sounds and sequences in the middle and end of tracks.
That's the way to do it. Vinyl is good for that because when you see a change in the grain on the disc it means the track has changed up. with MP3s you can't do that, unless you open the song in an audio editor, which is time consuming for a quick checking.