Question:

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Battle Points: 8
mpc2000xl_full.jpg
mpc1000_top_lg.png
If you had to choose between these 2, which one would you pick and why?

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Wow, now I'm more torn than before...lol. I'm planning on buying an MP sometime this year, and I appreciate the feedback. I always wanted a 1000, since it's small in size and easier to travel with, compared to it's bigger brothers. Recently, I've been eyeing the 2000XL because it seems to have a grittier sound than the 1000.

Anybody else who can help me make an informed decision...it would be greatly appreciated

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
One is not any grittier than the other. They both sample at 16bit 44.1 and have a similar ppq for the sequencer. Can I ask why are you looking at these two and not something more modern? I have owned MANY mpc2kxls and while I do love them, editing is so slow I doubt I could ever go back. Something like maschine or the mpc studio is much more flexible.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's true @thedreampolice. Even though the 2000 has cranked out tons of hits, the 1000 looks dope. Actually, I was very close to getting that a few years ago, until I saw Maschine. That's when my brain imploded and since then my beats have been amazing. I'm awesome.

maschine-mk1-4.jpg

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
My only issue with Maschine and the more modern MPCs is that they cant work without the computer..

Ive been trying to do as much research on that as possible, but like the Ren, Studio, Maschine, from what Ive read they can only be used in that medium, where as older models of MPCs can be plugged in and used anywhere with an outlet.

Would anybody be able to shine more light on that? Im not sure if Im mistaken or not. Ive been at a crossroads with leaning towards one or the other.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Mike Chief I hear ya. That's what I was going for years ago because I was sick of the computer and wanted a standalone. I miss the days of my drum machine and sampler where all I did was use my ears and not my eyes.

But I went with Maschine because like what @thedreampolice said, just turn off the PC and work with Maschine/Renaissance on those screens. There might be times where you will need to use the computer screen, but you could do without, it's all how you use it. You could go with an MPC but more companies seem to be going with the software/controller setup. If portability is the key for you, then it's not that bad to have let's say, Maschine and a laptop. :D

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
I want to buy an MP to keep set up in my room...don't plan on using it as a portable. I like the MP just because. I'm not sure what Maschine is capable of, so I can't really knock it. It's just not my steez as a beat maker. I've been using the MPC app for 4 years now, and I don't have the patience to relearn a new piece of hardware.

I appreciate all the feedback on this question, and if you got any more info, please share. Thanks

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Oh man going from the mpc app to an mpc2000xl is going to feel like you took a huge step back in time, and not in a good way. The 1k is a bit faster but not much, if you get a 1k make sure you put jjos on it. What's your budget for this and what are you trying to accomplish mainly?

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
@thedreampolice thanks for the insight. I like the app, but there are some feature on it that differ from the actual hardware. As far as budget to get one, probably no more than $500. I check CL every so often and find the average for either one around my budget.

I wanna start digging through my vinyl collection, which is my main reason for wanting an MP. I know I'll have to get a turntable and mixer to make it work, so to get all set up for this, I'm looking to spend no more than $1K

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Maybe you should look at an MPC 4k then, they are going for like $600 on ebay as well. The 2k was great in its day but if you have never used one I would advise against it. It will feel PAINFULLY slow to you, I mean you will be waiting on waveforms to draw before you can even edit a sample, not to mention storage issues. I owned many MPC's over the years, and sure do love them but once I went Maschine I would never ever ever go back to an hardware MPC, maybe an MPC studio or the Ren. Obviously YMMV oh have you tried the MPC pro ap BTW? That thing looks fantastic!

Last edited:

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
I have the Supreme MPA app on my android tablet and what I currently use to bang out beats. It's a nice app, but I don't think it has all the features of an actual MPC.

If I go with the 1000, would I be ok?

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Thanks man. I was on Akai's website, reading up on the MPC specs. The 1K sounds like it has what I want, so I'll be going with that one.

Thanks to everybody who offered feedback on my question.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
bought an mpc 2500 about a year ago ended up selling it...before that i had an akai mpd and now maschine..to tell you honestly, its better having a midi controller than a hardware unless your really into it...as @thedreampolice said its basically the same...it will practically spit out what you put in...your better of sampling into your laptop/computer that way you can do more rather than going hardware which will limit the stuff that you can do, because from what i understand is a hardware is built for a specific job.

but if i had to choose? i would go for the 2kXL always loved how every beat made through this sounded classic...
if your going to use the mpc alone for everything go for the 1k..again...because its faster...
but if its just for sampling your vinyl collection, might i suggest a cheaper option?

how bout the mpc 500? that way its portable? ( might buy myself one of these soon )

also if you like keyboards check out ensoniq asr-10...(will definitely get me one of these if it pops up.)
if you want to hear what this sounds like? a perfect example would be jake-one...he always uses this.

hope that helps..

peace!