Questions to DJ's

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
At the moment, I've only got an ION iCue Dj Controller and VirtualDJ. I'm wondering what would be the best scratches for me to learn on it starting out. I've been watching a few videos and some scratches seem crazy (crab), but I think I could pull off cutting on it fairly simply. Any of you got any tips for a beginner?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
There's lots of scratches to learn, you should search for DJ Q-Bert's "Do It Yourself Scratch" videos, he shows you how to do pretty much everything. From Baby scratches, to Crabs, Flares, etc.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Chirps are easy to learn ... and of those scratches that sound good on conventional beats.

YouTube - DJ ULI G Scratch Tutorials - Chirps

So am I right in thinking that I move the fader away while I'm scratching the record forward, then bring the fader in on the back scratches? Also, what records should I be looking out for? I've tried just using pellas, but it doesn't seem too effective.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
pellas, noises , even filtered tracks will do....

this is a description from wikipedia :

"The scratch starts out with the cross-fader open. The DJ then moves the record forward while simultaneously closing the previously opened channel ending the first sound. Then, in a reverse fashion, the DJ opens the channel while moving the record backwards creating a more controlled sounding "baby scratch". Done in quick cession it sounds as though a chirp sound is being produced."

Watch the tutorial , it's not that hard, you just need decent coordination.

So am I right in thinking that I move the fader away while I'm scratching the record forward, then bring the fader in on the back scratches? Also, what records should I be looking out for? I've tried just using pellas, but it doesn't seem too effective.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
pellas, noises , even filtered tracks will do....

this is a description from wikipedia :

"The scratch starts out with the cross-fader open. The DJ then moves the record forward while simultaneously closing the previously opened channel ending the first sound. Then, in a reverse fashion, the DJ opens the channel while moving the record backwards creating a more controlled sounding "baby scratch". Done in quick cession it sounds as though a chirp sound is being produced."

Watch the tutorial , it's not that hard, you just need decent coordination.

Ok cool, thanks Excellence. Shame I've got the damn in-laws coming round tomorrow, means I won't get anything done, hopefully they won't be long so I can practice my scratching for a while. It's hard as hell on this iCue though, the plastic jog wheels just spin like crazy.