Quick newcomer questions concerning 'Leads'.

4108sv

ill o.g.
What are they? What are their roles? Also, are there any other kinds of classifications like "leads" for other instruments? If so, can you describe those as well? lol

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Usually powerful synth sounds.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
lead is in front of your mix, it can be any kind of source you want to put in the "spotlight" of your mix ( excluding a lead vocal ).

MastaMariucci

ill o.g.
So on New York State Of Mind would the higher pitched piano chord be the lead? Alos, every song doesn't have a lead right? e.g. on Eminem's Business there's just that guitar till u get to the chorus.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Actualy, feminem would be the lead but you're right, hiphop doesnt always need a lead. I would think that lead would be interfering with the mc's ability to play with the beats.. okay I dont rap but you know how that goes, in the best scenario in regards to hiphop you would find the lead in the chorus.

MastaMariucci

ill o.g.
Ok, let's not get started on Em, I think he's tight as hell but that's just my opinion. I know he's controversial and a lot of people hate him but I'll respect that. Anyways, thanks for the help. I didn't know any of that stuff.

members online