R&B VS. Rap This is important

Artistix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Okay I really would like to get to know first hand about this subject from none other then producers of both the genres or one of the two. What would you say if anything at all is the difference between the two, production wise. Saying when you sit to make a beat do you think to yourself I'm going to make a hiphop beat or and R&B beat. Also is there any specific charachter in either Rap/R&B beats that make them either Rap/R&B beats. Does anyone sample when they make R&B beats? THis is just a few questions that I've always wanted answers to. Thanks

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
these days R&B and rap are the same thing. Rappin and bullshit(R7B). I mean I only litstent to music that is trying to push the boundrys. I only listen to soul music like jil scott, jaguar wright. and hip hop like little brother, justice leauge. Most of the other shit is bullshit.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
There is a lot of music that is going back to the Feel of RnB of the more traditional sense, with melodies and musicianship in the tracks...singers and artist wanting more also than a hollow sample beat.....there are a lot of musicians out there contributing to the rebirth of composition and solid song building.....a lot of the stuff teetering on what say a John legend does or some more of the "mature RnB"...is not the crossover with hip hop..(neo soul sort of stole a large part of that audience with a name makeover...underneath is RnB)....so there is a division because of the tempos for the most part like a ballad.....I think that the more uptempo from 90-100bpm tracks are more interchangeable.... RnB has a lot of paths and they merged with Hip Hop in the last 10 years or so....but also start paying attention.....the grittiness is making a comeback and I am hearing more of it above ground(it never left the underground) so that puts a divide between using it as an RNB joint although you can, I am starting to hear more joints that have the old feel & MOp I am glad that hip hop is returning to the roots of what so many use to define it (HIP HOP) from the 90's era.....RnB though had a name long b4 hip hop and that was quality music put together thru hours of practices and studio sessions with musicians....I think thats where it is going back to.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
there is pure R&B

ANd there is pure hip hop

and then there is a grey area where stuff can be either(which is natural casue R&B help birth hip hop)

I think it gets corney when mainsteam exploits this "grey area" music, by Reclyling last years hip hop hit, to this years r&B hit, or having the corney rapper on a wanna be r&B song

class..

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
all i think about when i work on sumthin r &b which is like never.. i just think slow tempo and real sounding drums..thas about it

stjoeben

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
KurtisRich said:
Sometimes when I'm thinking of making an R&B beat, I end up making something uptempo. But no matter what, you can still sing over a hardcore beat or rap over a mellow beat so either way it's all versatile

yea, what he said.........

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you can trace the point where the line started to blur back to teddy riley....

to learn more about the crossover between both genres (i use the term crossover on purpose) by listening to late 80s early 90s 'new jack swing'

in the words of the once great ice cube.... you can new jack swing on my nuts....

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Well boys, here's my take on it.
And this does not aplie to the "Real" RnB with classical played intruments like john legend wich I personally think is really good.
This is more the "plastic" RnB "Destenies Child"-kinda crap.

To make a song like that:
Use a big noisy synthesizer and make a really thin malodie (not that many notes is what I mean by that. Just a simple arrangement).
Take really doofus drumsounds. Like youself flushing your cat down the toilet or summink. No real drumsounds. And drag many drumsounds backwards for that extra special RnB type shit feel.
And the #1 for making class 1 shit RnB:
Take the hi hats and arrange them without a steady pace.

Ya know what I mean??

hit, hit, hit, , ,hit,hit, hithithithithit, ,hit, hit, ,hit hit hit hittitititi :D

You feel me.

That is what I feel is your basics for when it comes to RnB... Take it with a pinch of salt.
And for those that haven't already guessed.. I dun like that kinda shit.

Bring forth the real composers like John Legend and flush that other shit down the drain.

P's

PhleX

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said r&b help birth hip hop, that is right rhythm and blues - r&b (the likes of blues music, anyone seen blues brothers movies haha) birthed hip hop but where did the urban r&b come in from i would say hip hop actually brirthed that...

my 2cents

B

Bigg T

I think of it this way.. Hip Hop beats are usually just straight Raw!! weather they are sampled or composed.. they are basically loops with drums and adds/subtracts.. just somethin for the rapper to get his point across... R&B... is where Instruments really have a big effect on the track.. wether its fast or slow, there are a lot of instruments goin.. alot of changes in the melody most of the time, and usually for the GOOD R*B songs live instruments are being played.. like some of yall said, there is a crossover at some point where the beat seems R&B/Hiphop, i made a couple of tracks like that.. but yea, thats how i see it..

members online