R&B??????

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Sup illmuzik fam

Lately Im getting to the point where my style is starting to developed. I still have along way to go to get to a professional level but I pretty much know what type of producer im going to be.

Lately I’ve been letting a lot of people hear my tracks and I usually comment like this.
“Yo your shit is tight but its to not really my style of hip hop. You should try R&B”

When I let some R&B singers here my music they say
“ yo your tracks are tight but they have too much of a hip hop feel to them.”

Its like im in a catch 22. I know my music is more musical and complicated than most hip hop tracks (im not trying to be cocky ) but I still feel they have a hip hop edge to them. Currently, I feel that I am a hip hop producer. But I do have enough common sense to be realistic about the type of music I’m making.

DO you think I should consider about crossing over to R&B?

Also what are your views about hip hop vs R&B producers. Do u think its possible to be successful in both.

Give me your opinions

Class…

def1nition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
People say the same thing to me but most of the people who say this don't know much about music or are just beggining to M.C. and think tracks should all sound a certain way. Most good M.C.'s are looking for a track to bring the best out of them, of course rappers don't wanna rhyme over slow love ballads but from what I heard your stuff isn't really like that. Some rappers do prefer harder tracks but if thats the case they'll ussually say that's not my style not oh these are R&B beats not hip-hop. There's not too many people who are actually making rhythm and blues most of what they call R&B is hip-hop tracks with singing over it anyway. Nowadays categories are just used to market of course you wanna know who your making your music for but a lot of artists could fit in several different genres. I think trying to fit music into a certain category is limiting because then your saying I can't do this because then it won't fit in this category and so on. Good music speaks for itself.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'll tell you this Classic:

I used to try and make Hip-Hop beats, and sometimes people would tell me the same thing "sounds like R&B a bit". After a while I decided that I'm just going to create whatever I create. Especially since you just started, you shouldn't focus on what type of music you're doing - just do it! Whatever comes out is what it is. Who cares what people tell you, just do what you do. :)

E

Equality 7-2521

^^^^
word i reckon do what you feel man. just make shit that YOU like. thats the most important thing. if you dont even like your own shit then whats the point. when you have that goal in mind, you dont need to worry about having your music classified.

anyway, i hate todays rnb. it really is quite shit.

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
word man, just make what you make, when you have an idea put it down, if it happens to sound like rnb then so be it, and if it happens to sound like hip hop so be it. dont change your creativity to suit other people man.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
just make wot u want i think once the beat is made its often the person singing/ rapping on it that will make the difference for instance you could have a beat somewhere in the middle now you thow mary j blige on it you have got an r'n'b track but if you throw method man on it you got a hip hop track, so just be true to yourself make wot you want and let other people worry about pidgeonholing you !

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
haha a while back you were saying you found out what you are good at and now all of sudden thinking of switching over...
rnb is for two kind of people, gay people (that is a fact) and for people who wanna make money.. sorry but rnb will always get dissed by me!

N.A.R.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo Yo Yo

I Would Say Now Is The Best Time To Develop Ur'e Style.....saying F What People Think Is Almost Like Saying F - Getting Paid.....if U Have That Much Patience To Blaze That Trail It Might Take A Minute But In Tha End It Might Work......i Would Say Blaze Cats With What They Wanna Hear First ......get In Tha Door And Then Do What U Gotta.....it's Always Easier On Tha Inside......u'll Have $ And B N A Position To Record And Release Tha Type Of Music U Want......dre Said It Best.....blaze Ur'e Block First, Then Move From There.....ur'e Equipment Ain't Goin Nowhere....work Ur'e Trax And "theirs" They 24hrs In A Day....usem.... I Made Tha Same Mistake Tryin To Do What I Wanted, And It Cost Me 4 Yrs.....so Instead Of Juss Gettin It 4 That Last 2....i Coulda Been Gettin Cheez Since Like Tha Age 22....nobody Can Tell U How 2 Rock....but Juss Remember That Music Life Ain't Gonna Be Paid For By Someone Else Off Chance MUSIC.....THEY GET WHAT THEY FEEL LIKE WORKS....them Cats Is Mad Tight Wit It....."if U Want That, Rock Them First Keep Ur'e Style Tight And Drop It When Tha Time Iz Right For U.....SO BASICALLY MAKE BOTH FOR RIGHT NOW.....KEEP THA HIP HOP SIMPLE AND THA OTHER TRAX THA WAY U DOEM.... DON'T CROSSOVA....U'LL B FINE

FuriousMusic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Classic i really woulnd worry about it cause the line between and r&b beat and hip-hop beat is so fine. Thats why now you have a lot of r&b people having rappers on there tracks now. A beat can go either way. Another example is all those r&b blend mixtapes where you have rappers on r&b tracks and r&b singers on rappers tracks. Thats why producers like jarmaine dupri thrive in the business cause there beats can go either way.Think about all the r&b singers who use hip hop beats especially from the badboy camp.I think for you it a win win situation

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Class,

everyone used to tell me my beats sounded too much like "movie music" and that it wasnt really rappable, or they couldn hear an mc over them.

basically, your style is your style- and its a good one at that. just continue to do what you do. the thing is, your beats got a 70's funk/soul/quiet storm, "shaft" type feel to them.... so thats where the rnb comes from in everyones head.

just do you, and i am telling you- you got the talent and skills to make people come to you for what YOU bring to the table. dont change up what you have going for you because you are starting tp develop real well with every track you do.....

classic

ill o.g.
Thanks for your advice folks
I kinda figured just make music and not worry about the genre that it fits in. But its still good to here from you guys because most of you are seasoned producers. This is the only place where you can really hear people with different styles of hip hop. That’s why I value everyone’s opinion here so highly.
I don’t know if most of yall noticed but when I try to shop tracks eveyones shit sounds the SAME!!!!!!! (doest that happen to you also??)

It gets kinda annoying when everyone you shop a track to says that it doesn’t sound a certain way. Seems like these days in hip hop people don’t want melodies. Eveyone wants a kanye west style beat or a little john beat(that’s a whole different topic lol) .

Any other suggestions are welcome…………………….

Also does anyone know the names of any consistent good R&B producers. It seems like they are overlooked a lot.

Class…..

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
The best way to find yourself,,,,

,,,a bottle of wine, some mood music,,,no,,,seriously,,,,

Just start out with whatever ya got and take it from there. For someone that has been doing this a short time, ya got the talent. Just make music. Eventually ya will find ya nich.

100 PROOF

Na.....

That track slide is tight im feelin the vibe & melody fo sho...got somehwat repetitive but prolly jus needs some lyrics!!!!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
u should find a rapper/singer like nate dogg butch cassidy or ......... any one remember that dude domino back in the day? dude was tuff man .. .. anyways hip hop and r&b go hand in hand a good percentage of tracks that can be rapped on can be sang on as well ..esp ur tracks classic ... a good artist will adapt to the beat.. fuc changing ur style jus make the muzik that makes sense to you

OOpS

ill o.g.
Look bro having listened to your beats this is my unprofessional opinion (which is the best because I enjoy listening to your music and am not tryin to disect it to much). If you are playing it for R&B lovers and they say it sounds to hip hop and vise versa to the hip hop lovers then think of this, you get a good R&B singer to drop some lines and then the a hard hittin rapper to bust some shit out on the same track THEN YOU WIN BOTH SIDES. Simply put you will deffinately make it as a producer of beats cause you have people from all angles diggin on your shit bro. The more people you can reach with your style the further you will go. Simple fact.

.......................................................................................................................................peace

classic

ill o.g.
Holmzini said:
u should find a rapper/singer like nate dogg butch cassidy or ......... any one remember that dude domino back in the day? dude was tuff man ..

DOMINO was the shit. I still rock his shit on occsion. What the hell evey happend to him . I would love to work with him. Your right holmz he would fit my shit perfectly!!!!

classs....

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
he wasa missouri dude who claimed long beach, at least thats nelly's story. he didnt realy have much for longevity.

at any rate, "sweet potato pie" was classic. and ghetto jam.

members online