R.I.P Technics 1200, 1978-2009

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Good thing I just bought one... sad to hear. Another step towards the burial of analog sound.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Thats great Panasonic is the worst company to deal with and there are so many better options now over the 1200's

Chriss! Blasphemy! You are cool with me eventhough you dont work at Sweetwater anymore but to ACCIDENTLY let that slip out of your mouth just may have changed the way I viewed you as a fellow productionist!

There are NO substitutes for 1200's....NONE, NADA, ZERO, ZILCH and never think otbherwise...1200's were the ultimate turntables from your local DJ all the way to the DMC Championships. This is really a sad lost.

Nah, but seriously, 1200's meant to Hip Hop what Oil means to the USA. Yep, its that serious! The only way 1200's didnt mean nothing to you was...you NEVER were a DJ.

dac

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ha ha sorry, but I am telling you the Stanton 120's blow the 1200 away as one example. When I go back and try to use 1200's they feel cheap and slow.

Check out this review

"It would be a disservice to review a turntable and not briefly address the state of the industry and the fact that every discussion of DJ turntables must begin and end with Technics SL-1200s. They have been the industry standard for 20-plus years and are still the weapon of choice for most DJs, nightclubs and places where people spin vinyl. At a point in the past, the debate would have ended with the mention of Tech 12s, as no other company made a turntable that could even come close. Over the past few years however, many companies have begun to release quality pieces with advanced features, improved performance and enlightened designs. It remains to be seen whether any of these competitors will actually contend for the title, but you can firmly add the T.120 to a short list of tables that are clearly in the running."

I just feel like 1200s are popular just because everyone has always used them. But it does suck to lose a tool that you have used for years. No doubt.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
C'mon man the 12's are no way flimsy and cheap, they're built like tanks! I've used Vestax, Numark, and Stanton and the 12's bitch slap all of 'em.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
You guys actin like this wasn't going to happen...

All good things must come to an end....

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
they blame digital mixing but dont most dj's use interfaces like serato and traktor to where u would still need turntables to run the timecode vinyls? i think its an excuse on panasonics part so they dont have to invest in it to make it more fit to the times.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I love the 12s....

The 12s are hip-hop.

But hip-hop has taken a more digital approach....producers and djs are incorporating more technology into their crafts....You see even seasoned vets using programs along with their turns.....

But not many new cats coming into the game are investing in those turntables....they're going towards the CDJ type turntables....

It's tough seeing them go....but the vinyl age is dying even more slowly..only the purists remain.....and with the availability of vinyl becoming MORE scarce, there really isn't much of a market anymore....

RIP Turntables in general.....esp the 12s......

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
funny how theyre gonna stop production, yet every thing that comes out has the look of a Tech... from the bent arm, to the turntable plate... even the CD DJs got a Tech look... the 1st time i ever seen a turntable that required a needle cartridge was a Technique, so they gets MAD respect from me, and I've never DJ'd in my life!

da relic

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
funny how theyre gonna stop production, yet every thing that comes out has the look of a Tech... from the bent arm, to the turntable plate... even the CD DJs got a Tech look... the 1st time i ever seen a turntable that required a needle cartridge was a Technique, so they gets MAD respect from me, and I've never DJ'd in my life!

da relic

They just set the standard for all turntables...so that is why you see those that look similar....It's a psychological thing...if it looks like a 12, it can't be that bad....

I love the 12...it's such a beautifully built piece of equipment....However the Stantons that were mentioned earlier are very capable as well from what a DJ out here told me....So maybe the 12s may have a well suited predecessor. It's been a great run for the Technics 1200....Just like anything else...has to step aside for newer technology....But be happy that it's basically one of the last things to go....

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Since the music is more or less 'virtual' now, I suspect in the next few years there won't even be a need for DJ's. Just pre-program a mix, get a cardboard cutout of yourself and plaster it in the dj booth!