R.I.P Technics 1200, 1978-2009

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
We asked for it...Just not that particularly...we wanted to make putting music together easier....Most radio stations are exactly that....pre-programmed mixes...All done digitally, no vinyl.....Those stations that use vinyl are very very few and far between.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I look at it like this...every piece of production gear has been replaced by a program that you can install on your pc. IMO, this is just one example of change. What once required a "skill" has been replaced with "how computer saavy are you?" in a sense. Think about it. You use to have to send your product to a degreed professional to get mastered and now its just a matter of loading a mastering program on your computer.

Im all for change but not at the expense of taking the uniqueness away from those who have mastered an art. We live in a do-it-yourself world but we're killing ourselves in the process.

dac

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Just talked to a buddy of mine who owns an audio store in Madison Wisconsin, he said every year Technics talks about discontinuing it but never do. Maybe in Australia yes, however I don't see them discontinuing it in the US.
BTW, I love my Technics, I think it is one of the best pieces of electronic equipment ever made by man. The design, ergonomics and ruggedness of it are top notch. The only minor issue I have with it is the RCA cables, those always seem to shit the bed after 5 years or so.
I appreciate gear that you can pass down to your kids, most of these plastic midi controllers and laptops won't be shit in ten years, however the Techs will still be going strong.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Clarification came from Panasonic UK to squash rumours. And It’s not what you might think. So here goes – the 1200MK5 and 1210MK5 WILL be discontinued leaving the 1210MK5G as the top of the range and most definitely NOT discontinued. It never was a limited edition, just a flagship special edition model. And the 1200 and 1210 MK2 will continue as normal. So now there’s some distance between the MK2 and MK5G models instead having a middle MK5 deck to confuse matters. So it’s vanilla Technics or the more expensive piano black extra pitched blue light luxury model left in the range.

Taken from some website... not sure if it's true, as it is the internet.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
C'mon man the 12's are no way flimsy and cheap, they're built like tanks! I've used Vestax, Numark, and Stanton and the 12's bitch slap all of 'em.

sl1200's are no brainers for djs, i mean djs, not ipod shufflers or bpm lockers.

members online