Rakim, Dr. Dre dispute....the real facts.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
The following is some shit i picked up web surfing, i often check the allhiphop.com site for their daily rumors and this is what was up there today.

Rakim Left Dre?

Friday, September 19, 2003

THE REAL SCOOP (from a friend in Cali):

The execs and Rakim were not meshing right. Dr. Dre let Rakim go because Rakim wanted to leave (not because of Dre, it was cuz of the execs of Interscope. namely Dre's right hand man.) Dre gave Rakim the album for $300K, now Interscope is holding it up. Rakim has a deal on the table already from another label. This will be announced when Interscope handles the biz...The god might be one the way...

RAKIM "OH MY GOD" FALL 2003??

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I can understand that shit happens in the business, but Dre should have done everything in his power to not let shit like that happen, especially his right hand man, you mean to tell me you couldn't square things away between your right hand and a Hip-Hop Legend, you got to be kidding me. Make the god happy and everybody else will be happy mainly because your making history!! Argueably the dopest producer in Hip-Hop with argueably the greatest emcee a legend in the game! Stop letting these execs run the industry this is Hip-Hop we run this if it wasn't for the legends like Rakim these old farts label execs wouldn't even be seeing the type of money they see now in music!

Bad Aftermath Bad Aftermath!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
When they say "not meshing" trust me it's a lot more than that. Rakim probably wanted more money up front, and Dre told him to take a walk. In those situations, Dre has all the leverage, not the artist, I don't care who it is. If Rakim was smart, he would have stayed by Dre's side. Dre has a lot of projects, and I'm sure the next 50 Cent album is something that's on his mind more than Rakim's, because 50 Cent is a cash cow for the label. It's always about the money.

Executives run the music business because they are part of larger international corporate conglomerates. I would not want a rapper that's high on who knows what drug talking to the head of Sony in Tokyo. lol.

Sincerely,
God

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Oh yeah Dre's got all the cards, but he missed his chance to make history, 50 Cent is Hot right now, but again we are dealing with "right now", Rakim is a legend and he did what was best for him as an artist he's been around this game for years, I'm quite sure he can smell a rat! Rakim has nothing to lose anyway, he's already sketched in the Hip-Hop record books among all the greats, he doesn't have to take no shit, he's been there done that, I don't give a damn what corporate BS exists.

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
mc haMMER is also etched in the game as is vanilla ice but that does not make them financially secure for the rest of their lives.and also on that same note nas first album was a classic but everything that followed was not ya know

peace

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
ok ok, since i started this thread i find it only right that only i could change the topic....
Highlite, to say that nothin after illmatic was a classic is like saying the east coast had a dry weekend, thats crazy and im not gonna elaborate.

i personally am not a BIG fan of Rakim, i respect him and i really feel him as an artist but im not a BIG fan, i dont feel like hes "THE" greatest MC of all time, he may or may not even be "ONE" of the greatest, think for his time frame he was exceptional but i think people put him on that pedestool out of respect, there are niggas out now doper than him who may never get the acclaim he has, and generatoins following will run around putting him on their list as number one because somebody told them he was number one, withouht hearing one record as many people today do. like i said during his time he was EXCEPTIONAL but if theres only one fish in the pond that fish will be the biggest fish because hes the only one there.

D

DJlow2

by the way the 18th letter is by far the best rakim CD out there... rakim's flow has always been tight... its the beats that make the rapper... so him leavin dre... well... he already got wut he needed... now he's moved on to the next producer... and rak has been around for a minute... nobody's rap career has lasted that long... and like you were sayin... kiddies that are hot this summer become cold in the winter... and the test of time has shown that rak is one of the greatest... but yall already knew that... and im statin the obvious...

anyway... from a producer's standpoint... i want the best lyricist available to flow on my tracks... bottom line... and i want somebody who has experience flowing on all types of beats.. and rak has that...

ey yo its late over here... and im rambling... hopefully that makes sense to yall...

letting rakim go wouldnt be good for any producer... especially since he got the rights to the album afterwards... so really in this case knowing the following of rakim in NYC especially and the following of Dre in Cali... its mutual... both of those cats got something that we are all strivin for... a position of leverage in the music industry... so regardless they getting paid and we sitting in front of computer screens trying to get where they at by wasting time talking about them...

-Dj Low 2

members online