Rap is anti establishment...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Nice point 2good,
Now that Im sober enough to explain myself..ahem..

Im watching BET last night and Rakim comes on live preforming the classic hits of his , so of course I get up from Illmuzik and look at the TV....
Wow basically hes rappin his oldies over 50 cents models, ...modeling 50's clothes I guess...
Something about that , to me, seemed mega disrespectful to Rakim.
I cant put my finger on it, but it was just ..Sad.
I mean Rakim hasnt, to my knowledge , yet been paid in full for paid in full, and heres 50 sorta "Hiring him as the entertainer" for his little modeling show so 50 can contiinue to get paid in full.

SO something about the combination of watching all that made me a little pissed and threw me back to the days of when listenin to Rakim made you somewhat an outcast from the mainstream , part of an elite hiphop crowd, not a soundtrack to sell fucking clothes...
Of course time has passed and I am old, but shit..
Being rap meant being anti establishment in eons past.

Wings states, hell just give the music away , dont do it for pay , do it for Art.
makes sense as I look at the state of things

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
OK now Im with you...Don't quote me on this but I heard rumors of Rakim signing under 50's camp after a deal with somebody else went sour (can't remember who) I think it was with Bad Boy. I'm sure that Ra is doing this for the money and hopes of regaining some rap status but I'm like 95% positive that he will only gain his loyal followers at this point in his career. Whatever happened with him and Eric B wayyy back in the day pretty much fugged everything up for the hopes of being a true rap legend.

Even still, Eric B & Rakim was the ish! He just may be my favorite rapper of all time. Rakim was always on some next level rapping ish. Gotta love the god!

MOF

prose1

ill o.g.
Man this is wack if it's true. If he signs with 50 cents label it goes against everything he used to be for. I mean how do you go from "follow the leader" to Candy shop. I heard he was supposed to hook up with Dr. Dre but they had creative differences. Then I heard he was supposed to hook up with Pharrell(would've been a risk but at least creative). He should've started his own label along time ago but I guess nobody was making money back then. I'm a true fan of his but if he hooks up with 50 he lost me man. Hiphop used to be about art not money and Rakim was definately the standard. MAYBE ERICK B AND RAKIM NEED EACH OTHER BECAUSE THEY DEFINATELY HAVE DONE ANYTHING WITH OUT EACH OTHER!!!!

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
for me, 50 is everything that is wrong with hip hop, just the money, girls, cars, gangsta and everything else. itd b a sad day if it happens
thats interestin about Rakim and Pharrell, because ive started gettin into pharrel/neptunes/nerd more recently, and they are just artist, there creative, new, they just sound different. and id love to hear Rakim and Pharrell, itd b quite weird, but theres jus so much talent and energy there

*edit* i cannot complain out rap bein estalishment. because if it was still elitist and still anti establishment and set in NY, i would not know of it.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
MAYBE ERICK B AND RAKIM NEED EACH OTHER BECAUSE THEY DEFINATELY HAVE DONE ANYTHING WITH OUT EACH OTHER!!!!

Rakim has had some bangers since he went solo, just not enough.

IMO when it was Eric B and Rakim, there albums were 70-90% hot. Rakim as solo artist, his albums are only 10-20% hot...