RAPPERS/MCS I need your opinion on when YOU beat source

DEVIZE

I Had a talk to the owner at beatbrokerz about labeling beats these days. Myself Im one of the originators of the whole "Online Selling Beat Fad" so we named em whatever came to mind like " DEATH NOTE" or " CRUIZIN" to define the anticipated vibe of that beat.

Nowadays they label them "west coast beat - bla blah" or " drake type beat - blah blah"

As a rapper/mc i am asking for your honest opinion when you search for beats online what appeals to you more?

or a combination of both like West is Best - West Coast beat ?

any feedback is appreciated

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Wow, literally like an online legend I remember being much younger at the time and studying both you and a guy name Kune10 or Kune X 10 something like that.

Now I'm not a rap artist but I work in an industry where the people who are buying music for artist for television shows for movies etc. etc. that is the exact criteria that they look for. They're looking for X type of artist instrumental they're not looking for stuff like death one or Kroon music or the great escape.

What they are looking for is music that is relatable so they're looking for those search terms example Drake the cruise and West Coast be West Coast slap her stuff like that it has to be something that immediately tells them the vibe of the track another thing that helps is seeing pictures.

The difference between now and back when you were kind of inventing the wheels of online beat selling is that keyword search and optimization plays a major major role.

I can show you statistical data if you need it is serious. Metadata/keyword search terms are serious for driving traffic. Especially in the initial stages. There will be a point in time where you will build a fan base of up to don't know five or 10,000 and at that point you're just direct mail marketing to that group or subscription-based marketing to that group and in that case the name of the track does not matter

I run into this on every day basis where an artist will come in and they won't have a track but they'll have me remake something for them and the first thing they do is hop online and they type in the type of track that they want and it's always centered around the name or a vibe always.

T

TagYourBeats

Wow, literally like an online legend I remember being much younger at the time and studying both you and a guy name Kune10 or Kune X 10 something like that.

Now I'm not a rap artist but I work in an industry where the people who are buying music for artist for television shows for movies etc. etc. that is the exact criteria that they look for. They're looking for X type of artist instrumental they're not looking for stuff like death one or Kroon music or the great escape.

What they are looking for is music that is relatable so they're looking for those search terms example Drake the cruise and West Coast be West Coast slap her stuff like that it has to be something that immediately tells them the vibe of the track another thing that helps is seeing pictures.

The difference between now and back when you were kind of inventing the wheels of online beat selling is that keyword search and optimization plays a major major role.

I can show you statistical data if you need it is serious. Metadata/keyword search terms are serious for driving traffic. Especially in the initial stages. There will be a point in time where you will build a fan base of up to don't know five or 10,000 and at that point you're just direct mail marketing to that group or subscription-based marketing to that group and in that case the name of the track does not matter

I run into this on every day basis where an artist will come in and they won't have a track but they'll have me remake something for them and the first thing they do is hop online and they type in the type of track that they want and it's always centered around the name or a vibe always.

Honestly, I don't know the whole market and I've been out of the loop ever since my daughter was born 14 months ago, but...this response seems to cover literally everything I've known to be true from selling beats in my time.

9/10 of my beat sales have come from people looking for an "X" style beat. Whether that was a Scott Storch or Lil Jon style beat in the 2000s or a Drake/whatever is hot style beat these days. I think it makes you easier to find.

Additionally, sometimes when I'm just chilling I will go on YouTube and type in "West Coast Beat" for example and kick it to whatever there is on there...I'm sure if I was a rapper that could have resulted in a few sales for those producers too.

Unfortunately it results in tackily named beats by us producers, but...for easy searching, it's a pretty smart way to be found (or at least increase your chances of being found, anyway).

MaseedProd

www.maseedproductions.com
Hands down, labeling your beats as "type beats" is the way to go when it comes to selling beats. As much as every rapper/singer out there wants to believe that their music is completely original and doesn't sound like anyone else, let's face it...everyone is influenced by someone else. "Type beats" takes the guess work out of going through hundreds of beats, searching for that feel you want. I take it a step further and actually give the track a title that is along the lines that the "type beat artists" themselves would choose for the song had they recorded it. You gotta gotta make it dumb easy for the artist.

members online