Rapping with an accent?

Hey guys,

I'm a bedroom producer who makes music in his spare time for the fun of it, I've been producing for a couple of years now and I was wondering about rapping over my beats

I guess my main thing about rapping over my beats is the fact I've got a very thick accent which I think personally sounds horrible in rap -- any ideas?

The accent is Scottish for those wondering

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ya it could be tough to sound right. Maybe you just don't like the sound of your own voice? What about getting a friend to rap over your beats and see how it sounds?

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I guess my main thing about rapping over my beats is the fact I've got a very thick accent which I think personally sounds horrible in rap -- any ideas?

The accent is Scottish for those wondering

If your accent is Scottish you gotta rap Scottish.
Real knows Real.
The UKHH scene will show love if you have content and flow.
Plenty of cats with accents on the scene doing their thing.
Leaf Dog is West Country.
Soul (Don't Flop) is a Scott.
Where I am we got Flame Griller, Defenders of Style and others proudly reppin' that Yorkshire accent.
Real know Real.

T

TagYourBeats

Real knows Real.
Where I am we got Flame Griller, Defenders of Style and others proudly reppin' that Yorkshire accent.
Real know Real.
I agree with this. When I thought I could rap I always imagined myself rapping with Eminem/Dr. Dres voice. Then I got a mic and started rapping for real and, well...I make beats now...lol

But as a Scottish person, you could find a lot of love in Scotland and the rest of the UK. And the American girls love the Scottish accent, so you could stand a good chance. Don't give up the dream.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
Real knows Real.
Real know Real.

bruh - there is no UKHH scene anymore - its deadout unless we are talking accapella battling (which we are not) - battle scene is massive in the uK still...

OP - have you seen the Great Hip Hop Hoax? - all about a couple of Scottish rappers who faked it to make it... check it if you get a chance

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
BBP have been releasing some dope shit (Oliver Sudden - Book Thieves)
Dented records (Dr Syntax)
Blah Records (Liverpool - Black Josh)
High Focus have been releasing some dope shit too (Four Owls new album - Premier colab - Edward Scissortongue)
YNR Productions (Jhest - Micall Parknsun)
Silent Sounds (Mr Thing)
Tactical Thinking (Pete Cannon)

All decent UK labels

And the Yorkshire scene is banging (Defenders of Style, Flame Griller, Jack Danz, Lego)
Manchester scene banging (HighRise, IllerState - loads of people)
Brighton (RumCom), Bristol (the home of triphop), Birmingham, Nottingham all got thriving hiphop scenes.

Then you got guys like Steady & Efeks, S.Kalibre & Slap Up Mill...

Shit man, the UK is cranking out some quality product - don't gimme that UKHH is dead spiel...

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
im from Nottingham and can tell you for a fact that people dont really go to nights like they used too.... i loved UKHH back in the day, but it got stale IMO...

Plus with the exception of High Focus (who, yes are doing well) all of those people and labels you mentioned at the beginning have all fallen off and havent released anything of note (as in resonating with people outside of their scene) for TIME....

THe only people who i feel are doing ok in UKHH are ppl like One Handed music, so Paul White etc etc and the Black Acre people like Dr Zygote, Strange U and BLue Daisy... the thing with UKHH is that is stuck in the past like n o other scene - its still peddling boom bap whilst the rest of the world has people like Death Grips, Underachievers, Pro Era - even Young Thug and ppl lthat have moved the sound on...

Cappo doing some interesting stuff with VVV and Jehst is bumping some more fwd thinking stuff atm, but nah, the scene is dead - grime and a lack of innovation killed it...

not up on the northern scenes but i havent heard anything really and i work in the music biz in the uk as well, i have tried to promote it, with the exception of Wordplay Mag, no one is covering it anymore...

Just my 2 pence and my opinion as an fyi....