Rearranging Chopped Samples

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Any tips on rearranging chopped samples? I have this guitar phrase that I want to chop up and replay the individual notes on the keyboard. The problem is that some of the notes are too short and when I trigger it, it's all choppy sounding. Actually most of the time when I chop and want to rearrange it sounds choppy and not full.

When you all find a sample you want to chop and play your own, how do you make the best of it?

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
well, when you "chop" samples, theyre gonna give you a "choppy" sound when you rearrang them , because of the nature of what you are doing... I would take those short notes you are talking about, and single them out, throw some reverb or a delay (your choice) & then export your new reverbed/delayed guitar sound as a wav. you might wanna do that to all the notes you sample, if you are trying to avoid the "choppy" sound ...it will sound more natural when triggered back thru your midi ...in case you get popping or clicking when you chop your samples, slightly adjust your volume envelopes in the start and end of each sample, so the sample ever so quickly fades in and out. that will rid you of any annoying clicks.

To achieve a "full" sound with your guitar notes, try layering a couple on top of each other with one of the tracks eqed differently, or with a different reverb or something ....hope that wells, im real lit up right now and i feel like typing.

good luck
-hopps

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok I have the multi track in Cool Edit to do layers. What kind of layers do you all typically add? Any tips for Cool Edit?

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
DueceMade Ent. said:
Dam hoppa, i dont think ive seen u type so much! lol
HELL YEAH, HoPPA GiViNG A CLASS iN HERE...HAHA

WELL i LAYER MY SAMPLES oN ToP oF EACH oTHER BUT THEN i PAN onE iN A SiNGLE DiRECTiON AND iLL PLAY WiTH THE oTHER oNE.
oR You CoULD PLAY WiTH THE VoLUME LEVELS AND THE ENVELoPiNG.
CiTY

members online