Reason 4 Line Tool

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Anybody know if the line tool in the sequencer is avail in Reason 4? I can't find it. Not really a big deal, just tryin to get more familiar with the sequencer window.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Anybody know if the line tool in the sequencer is avail in Reason 4? I can't find it. Not really a big deal, just tryin to get more familiar with the sequencer window.

Because of the new edit function in Reason 4 you don't need the line tool. In edit mode the selection tool or the pencil tool can perform the same function that the line tool use to. The line tool was replaced by the razor which is much more useful.

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I knew it would be u who answered. LOL
Here's the deal.
I have a series of eight 16th note chords that i wanna gradually increase the velocity of. You know that build up effect. Any advice?

I'm just not following the procedure. I tried to use those, but don't quite get it yet.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
ok.....here's how it's done. It's a little complicated but easy once u get the hang of it. What makes it better than 3.0 is that you can edit each and every parameter and it's assigned to it's own lane ( or track per se ) with automation

1) Bring the sequencer window up
2) At the top left corner of the "sequencer" screen click the "edit" button that's beside the selection tool (left of it)

3) click in an open area lane of the track that you want to edit....it should turn a darker grey.
4)Go back up to the tool bar click the "automation" drop down menu. Scroll down to where u see "more parameters"
5) scroll down from there and find "velocity", now you should have an additional lane right bellow your module track lane that is labeled with which ever automation funtion that you chose.
6) now look to the right and you should see "velocity" in the sequencer grid with a black line
7) go up top and get your pencil tool and click on in various part of that black line. Now u should have little circles
8) now get your selection tool (arrow) double click and hold down the left part of your mouse on the dots that you created with your pencil tool and when they turn white u can adjust up,down, in or out.

****If u want to "free hand" adjust things, make sure the "snap to grid" (magnet symbol) is disabled. If you don't need that much freedom of edit keep the snap to grid "enabled"...that's probably what you want to make a gradual velocity gain.*****

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
No option for Velocity. What am I doing wrong?

reason1.jpg

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
No option for Velocity. What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 2472

I didn't know u were using the NNXT. From what I can see, every module has diff't parameters that you can adjust. The NNXT just so happens to not "from what I can tell",allow you to automate velocity. I guess it's best to go through each module to see what you can and can't automate for future reference.

If you're basically using one sound (sample) spread across several keys you may want to use the NN19 instead. I checked it out and you can automate several diff't levels of velocity in it.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
i just got reason 4 and i love it!! the only thing i mist that reason3 was ill to me was the quantize feature
i could highlight one not and go to the top right corner in my sequence box and go to 1/8 or ect then right next to it had the % of how much u wanted that note to quantize!! in reason 4 i cant yet to find how to quantize a single note!!???
but i do know about the grove mix thing and and get a shuffle but what if i have a 2 bar drum tack 1234 but on the 1 ware the kick drops i might want to quantize it on 1/4 or /8 and maybe put the snares at 1/4 i m not yet to able to figure that out yet! so if any one can assist me pleas let me know
because in reason 3 i had no problem doing that!
but besides that little dow let down the program is sick!! i love and its worth the upgrade but they should of hook us up wit a few more new sound devices besides the thor and the apg
and im loving know reason4 has a count in!!! woooooooo i love that!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
i just got reason 4 and i love it!! the only thing i mist that reason3 was ill to me was the quantize feature
i could highlight one not and go to the top right corner in my sequence box and go to 1/8 or ect then right next to it had the % of how much u wanted that note to quantize!! in reason 4 i cant yet to find how to quantize a single note!!???
but i do know about the grove mix thing and and get a shuffle but what if i have a 2 bar drum tack 1234 but on the 1 ware the kick drops i might want to quantize it on 1/4 or /8 and maybe put the snares at 1/4 i m not yet to able to figure that out yet! so if any one can assist me pleas let me know
because in reason 3 i had no problem doing that!
but besides that little dow let down the program is sick!! i love and its worth the upgrade but they should of hook us up wit a few more new sound devices besides the thor and the apg
and im loving know reason4 has a count in!!! woooooooo i love that!

Dig into the groove mixer yo. u can do the same thing plus a whole lot more. Spend a day or two on it and you'll find out how to do it. Everything is there that was in 3.0 it's just rearranged.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
reason 4 is sick just got into the groove mixer!!! wooooooooo that is ill feature they added
i think its beter then the thor thing its has good sounds but im luving the fact that u can lane every single instrument and quantize it the way u want and add swing to the way u want its crazy lil drama!!
just got comfortable with the new sequence box but im still getting to learn it better