reason for lack of good beats in showcases

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I'm thinking this thread came together like this because the main reason people don't post on the second or third day is they would need to spend thirty minutes writing reviews if they do it right. less people posting = lower quality of beats...
Add to the problem people posting too many tracks, or not feeding back constructively, I think the comments to add more structure are wise.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I hear you there Ash. I think the answer to that question is due to the Cyclical nature of Hip Hop.
It is cool and "In" again to be making Beats and to produce, so alot of newcomers that wont be long in this game has come forth.
And also due to the nature of the VST instrument that is so easely collected over the web. It sounds like shit. Midi synthesized strings and pianos and organs that sounds week and cheep. A fiew years back it was all about the Samples cuz there wasnt so many VSTs to get ahold of as it is today.
Dont get me wrong. I love VSTs and use em myself. But 99% of em out there sound like shit.

Thats my thoughts to why there's a decline in quality

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I think Andreas is right on too. Anyone can download free vsti's, put down a kik snare kik kik snare pattern with some noodling on top. This sort of work doesn't compare to a collage of samples (in fruity or on an MPC), or a trained musician playing an instrument (be it live keys or a softsynth)...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Relic said:
Because your getting old Ash..... lol

haha i think ur right !!!

i think andreas hit it on the head ... alotta cats is just putting some chessy vst to a stock drum kit, calling it a beat and just posting it just to post it...

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I agree on everything except a few things:

1- Stress, i think that RnB is part of HipHop Culture, from what I know HipHop music constitues of RnB and Rap music. And also, If you look at AfriqueD he's got some hot RnB joint and that strick "hiphop (rap) only" would keep us to hear people's other aspect of their production

2- about giving technical reviews, that's pretty hard especially when it comes to a beat that you LIKE. I find it easier to say why I don't like a beat than why i like it. Cuz there's this "thing" about a good beat that you just can't put to word, it's just that it comes and touches you. Or sometime a beat just plainly sucks although, the kick is good, snare is good, etc.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Qwerty said:
I agree on everything except a few things:

1- Stress, i think that RnB is part of HipHop Culture, from what I know HipHop music constitues of RnB and Rap music.
LOL no way. Even if it is a part of the culture, this site was never meant for R&B. I know everyone has different styles but we're trying to focus on Rap production here. I guess today's "hip hop" might include R&B, but not the hip hop that I know.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
StressWon said:
come on Qwerty,,,bro, R&B is not part of the Hip Hop culture. When I think of R&B I think Barry White, Dione Warwick, Al Green, etc. That's just marketing schemes baby! Chris Brown and Ne-Yo are pop bro,,,I like their music too, but that's Pop kid.

mad triple co-signage lol.

andreas i think you got it right on also when i think about it.

and ash yeah i can totally see where this thread took a turn from the point you were making into a thread revolution.

i like the template idea too though, i think that'd make it easier for reviewing things since you know what to look/listen for.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Most of the newbies have never experieced the older cats posting beats ....so there is no lead for them to follow when it comes to reveiwing and all that other shyt....I say all the old heads post in the next showcase Fade included and show him how its done....Shyt someone even PM Guervera

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
J Rilla said:
Most of the newbies have never experieced the older cats posting beats ....so there is no lead for them to follow when it comes to reveiwing and all that other shyt....I say all the old heads post in the next showcase Fade included and show him how its done....Shyt someone even PM Guervera

word, thats agood idea kid,,,,word,,,I'm sayin to all the vets,,,,dont make me call you out,,,

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^^
aight, lets do that, got me a new asr-x so you can catch me in a noob modus ( already made a ying yang kinda beat lol ).

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
StressWon said:
come on Qwerty,,,bro, R&B is not part of the Hip Hop culture. When I think of R&B I think Barry White, Dione Warwick, Al Green, etc. That's just marketing schemes baby! Chris Brown and Ne-Yo are pop bro,,,I like their music too, but that's Pop kid.

If you put it that way lol. But I mean, nowadayz a lot of "RnB" beats I could see some rap on, that's pretty much what I was talking about. Like these dayz i've been listening a lot to Mary J's Be Without You ( i know that's not too recent) and that beat it's straight!! And it's not super rnb it could be on some hiphop thing. It's beat like this i was referring too.

But ANYWAY, i don't even do RnB beats! lol

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Word Is Bond, One Love Fam

Haze47 said:
personally i think it is because WE dont post anymore, fuck all that newbie shit, back in the day you had peeps like myself, Stress, merc, hoppa, big D, Guevera, rig (but never form), wings, nomics, clev and all the other sickos posting sick beats all the time...

WORD IS LIFE, in a manner of speaking, those were the golden days... I DO miss that period a lot, but we can't allow ourselves to sink in the past... As I always keep saying: "You've got to look back at the old things and see them in a new light."
There's a whole new wave of fresh talent \ new members, the times have changed & we (as a site\portal\forum) HAVE TO (we are obliged to) look forward and adopt these changes. We don't compromise when it comes to quality and creativity, but we also alter according to the spirit of the times. We ain't buying the fads, but we're also not static. We are trying to maintain that 'Street Smarts' attitude combined with mature outlook and wit (sounds good, innit? haha!)...

Greetings,
Wings

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
well well people since i am the only one with either sick or brilliant ideas!
i propose fade prepares an illmuzik golden age beatshowcase only for us!
like once or twice a year!
i prolly wont post anything up but still i gave yall the idea so now get on your knees and accept my divine seeds!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^LOL Obviously I dont qualify for that but I like the idea!
The beat this! revision where you can hear all the old entries is nice.. Gives me a good perspective!!

Or I could flip and call you an elitist with zero tolerance for new members, but then Id just be playing devils advocate and not really feeling that, just being contrary! :D

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
hnestly, i dont think mst folk REALLY want feedback. most of these kids just want their ego stroked.

people dont alays react ell to feedback- a lot of times the response "eh your too picky" or "yeah well i heard hat yuo got, so......."

also, people dont have the time to post actual feedback, or maybe they arent good at giving detailed feedback

plus there or kids how just dont have the skills or even the inherent vision to really do this

and smetimes, wack is jut wack and there is no other way to say it. then again, i have been ghost from the showcase for a minute now. im gonna have to check it out and then let kid know the drill.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
lack of good beats = cuz nova hasnt posted in a while.

:) jk fellas

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its true, level of good beats has gone down, i was just checking some of them out. Ive been gone for the last month or so, and things have really deteriorated even since then.

Rules/templates sound good to me, although i dont know how much ill be posting anyway.

I think part of the reason less of the OGs are posting is because we (or maybe yall, idk if i count) know whether a beat will be succesful or not, and we/you take them places, rather than just posting them on the internet for other producers.

its a whole new crop of kids coming up on this site... its getting to be the popular thing, smh.

members online

No members online now.