Reason mastering Eq EQ EQ

Mr_Black

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey I was just asking a opinon to reason users out there, it seems ive been equalizing a whole lot on my pathces, to perhaps lower the high frequnces that make my tracks so bright (sorry if im using a bad metaphor) make it a lil more mellower but is that a good thing? and also what about using alot of compresion...? and also since im so new to all this is there any text book defitnon manual on just what Eq, compressors, chrous flangers etc do? cause if anything as of right now im just playing and hearing by ear...guess id like to try a more technical approach..thanks in advance..

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Reason is ok to make the tracks my advice from what I found is to export each track to wave and then use a multitrack program like cool edit or protools free if you don't have the $$$$ to spend on high end....and allways make sure your maximize and process your samples if you don't use the ones that come with reason....the get a good mastering program like waves or the effects in cooledit that way you get a way better mix than reason out of the box could ever give......you need to do some experimentation with the compressors.....I am into this software compression now and it took awhile to cross reference it to the analog world which i do engineering with....it took awhile to get the hang of it but you need to multitrack and work on each track until the whole mix is good then using some good speakers or monitors you can mix it down and then start comparing your outcome and always make mental notes of what worked for you......

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
as a hardcore reason user (shh) to another:
DO NOT AFRAID TO USE REASON'S EFFECTS !!!
don't listen to people who say that reason sucks \ reason's built-in effects suck. it's all about your skills as a user (it's always been...).

http://www.propellerheads.se/home/discover/frame.html

check this link, i'd recommend ya all to read it.
it's a in-depth tutorial for reason's built-in effects\generators.
useful reading imho.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Sup to the new Kid, you can mix in Reason, but......It will be sounding like it came from a computer LOL, it's just a lot easier to multitrack I like to work with wave files when it comes to mixing, not the reason console...plus you can use all of the hotter vst plugins to MASTER....like waves gold, but if UR not shooting for the best sound that you can get you can go ahead and definitely use it and all of its FX to get the job done though, I love Reason.

luxx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think reasons effects are pretty good, u just got to work with and get to know how to use them. but as far as mastering definately export to .wav and use something like bias peak to eq and bring the most out of your track.[on a side note: big d are u saying u export each individual instrument from reason then put each one in protools or whatever and mix it down in there? sounds like a lot of work, but if its worth it its worth it. just curious, because i have thought of doing something like this but I didnt know if it would be worth the time spent.]

oh yeah mr. black peff.com has a ton of reason stuff havn't been there in a while but its deffinately worth a look. Im sure he has some EQ ing tips and all that, plus a bunch of links.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
yeah that he's sayin that what im sayin too...its not that much work...once you get better and better it akes less time...but yeah man it takes me like 2 hours tops to make a beat but eqing and such takes mad long.... im not sayin that reason's stuff is that bad...but i got peak 3.2.. and native intruments pro pack..... and those plug inss are very nice and kick reasons ass.... not dissin reason i think its the illest complete package out there... but if u got some dope third party plugins u can do alot more from a wave editor like peak or a dope sequnecer like cubase sx than u could alone in reason.... i agree with bigd ..... if u mix in reason ... don't sound as good...u can still make a dope track though

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I will have to DISAGREE.
reason alone is being used by numerous producers around the world, and "reason-made" tracks can be found on almost every compilation out there.
let's just say that half of the drum&bass coming from the uk is made with reason, and at least 1\4 of uk+us hip hop is done with reason SOLELY.
it ain't about what you use; it's about how you use it and take advantage of its features.
reason is an excellent software, believe me and others like me who use it without any second thoughts.
the dr. rex itself allows you to do ANYTHING with loops - rape 'em like there's no tomorrow.
reason + recycle (which you MUST have if you're into hip hop production) is a winner combination.
just my 5 cents...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Word. And then cop Reload and RefillPacker and your fucking set....
I got all the applications to make me happy with my setup - tha only thing im missing is more ram and a dope soundcard, but thats soon.

Reason iz dam sick and people who front on that probably just dont like to use it...Ive heard some people say things like "its too cryptic, or its intimidating, I just want something to make a beat on!"...I think if thats tha case then you probably shouldnt use reason cuz tha ironic part about all that is that reason is truley a breeze!....Yes i admitt there are countless things you can automate and control and such, but thats part of tha game...You jus gotta keep experimenting to tha point where youve tried to do a little of everything even if its jus to help understand how tha prgm really functions...That shit does help - you can quote me on that.

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yo mr. black export your files into ,lets say cubase "do not" process any files in reason. do not maximize.or normalize. once you export mix in cubase. again "do not process". when your finished mixing in cubase use export and save to hard drive. close cubase and open wavelab. now process. be very carefull with compression. if you dont know how to use it then you are better off without it. misusing compression can kill a mix.

members online