Reasonable Doubt vs Blueprint vs Black Album vs American Ganster

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
This is an attempt to share my thoughts on why I rank each album where I do. I am presenting my case, not tearing down another person who responds to this thread(you know, the opposite of the presidential debates). I hope to spark civil convo, where I may be able to provide a new perspective possibly, but also in the hopes to be given a new perspective. After it's all said and done, my list my change. That's coo. But for now.....

1 Blueprint. It's the complete package. Beats, (it was the start of the resurgence of sampling), rhymes, and hit songs. It's best songs are Takeover,You Don't Know,(play this in the club and see what transpires), Girls,Girls,Girls, and Renegade (I know,I know. Emenim murdered him on his own ish). It's weakest song was prolly The Blueprint(Momma Love Me), which isn't weak, just not as strong as the rest.

2 Black Album. Maybe it's the aura surrounding this release, it being his last album and all, but it is just a big album too me. The hits are monstrous. The best songs are What More Can I Say( in which he addresses why he is not a biter,gives his resume for why he can quote others and get away with it.... then proceeds to quote another Biggie line. Ill.), Threats, PSA,(see notes on You Don't Know) and Dirt Off Your Shoulders. It's weakest song is prolly Change Clothes.

3 American Gangster. His most underrated album by far. If not for the weakest song(American Gangster) and a few misplaced songs (Ignorant Shit is hot, but doesn't belong on that album), this would have been his best album as an artist. The album flows so smoothly. In almost every song, there is a shinning star. In American Dreamin, the Marvin sample alone is classic. In Success, that organ!!!! In Roc Boys, the horns are crazy. I Know is seriously overlooked as a song, the concept, the beat, the flow.

4 Reasonable Doubt. I know to some this is blasphemy. I don't think so. Not that it is a bad album, it's classic. Out of all his works, it may be his best lyrically. His flow was tight. And the beats were boom bap-ish. The best songs were, Dead Presidents,Regrets, Can I Live and Politics as Usual. But I did not care for for Bring It On at all, and 22 Two's was not as impressive as some would have me believe.

I also would state that Vol 3 is very underrated also. The good songs are amazing, but the 2 or 3 bad ones are horrible.

BeatsByC

I'd agree with this for someone to first get introduced to Jay-z. American gangster didnt have the feel of a true jay-z album. IMO. As a fan however, reasonable doubt for me is top shelf! To me reasonable doubt is similar to what get rich or die trying was to 50. Its sets a tone of hunger and believability, American gangster is the farthest from that. I feel like I'm typing too much. so in short, I think good list but reasonable doubt should get more credit.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Reasonable Doubt for me. Of course, it's the era lol. But to compare those albums, I would say take Reasonable Doubt off the list because the time period that it came out was a lot different than the others.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I'd actually take that list and make one change.....

4. Volume 1...
5. Reasonable doubt.

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Why only 4 of his albums???

Jay-Z is so timeless and all his music I can listen too 15 years later.
His music stays mature, lyrics and beats timeless.

1.Reasonable doubt ( Classic, first record)
2. Black album
3.Blueprint
4.The Dynasty
5.Vol 3
------------------------------------------------

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Why only 4 of his albums???

Jay-Z is so timeless and all his music I can listen too 15 years later.
His music stays mature, lyrics and beats timeless.

1.Reasonable doubt ( Classic, first record)
2. Black album
3.Blueprint
4.The Dynasty
5.Vol 3
------------------------------------------------
I started out with only 4 because Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint and Black Album are by far his most critically acclaimed and debated works, and for me, American Gangster is extremely slept on. But u have valid points also.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I had mix feelings with blueprint one. The black album and reasonable doubt are my top 2 from Jay