recommended methods to sort samples???

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey gang, I'm interested to know what recommendations have for sorting through and finding samples...

i.e. when you're listening through say some new wax or cds you dug up and are looking for samples do you tend to listen through looking for particular types of samples (e.g. funky samples or whatecer) or do you just listen through it and get a general vibe from it then go back to it later or do go through and extraxt all the possible samples you can and catalog them for later use?

holla!

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey i was thinking about that too. im having a hard time putting my samples and beats in order. give us some feedback people!!!

C

Carpe Diem

hmmm....it depends what mood im in to be honest...sometimes ill go through the record and unless i immediately find sumin, then ill put it down...other times, i really enjoy majorily digging thru tracks to find ickle hidden samples...

as for catelogging (speeling) samples, i got a loada folders that contain similar instruments - eg, flutes, harps, pianos, organs etc....

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i just got one big sample folder, i'll listen thru my records as soon as i find something ill record it then put it in cool edit chop it up then into my sequencer and use it straight away !

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I take time and Listen to all my records and CD's so i know whats on em.. ithis way i catalog all the sounds in my head .. So if i need Strings i no to go to So and So or if i needed Synths or Synth ideas i go to this record and so on.. but its good to give all ur material a good Listen

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
MarkN said:
i just got one big sample folder, i'll listen thru my records as soon as i find something ill record it then put it in cool edit chop it up then into my sequencer and use it straight away !

chep you know that

E

Equality 7-2521

i sample wax.

what i do is skim listen to the record (with an open mind) and write on a post it note what i have found. i then stick the note on the record. before i put it away.

if however its a really really good sample, i record it straight away.

eventually every sample gets recorded and put into my sound library so i have samples ready on my computer for me to fuck with and i dont have to dig again.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Damn that Post It note thing is a good idea i always am forgetting what i have listened to and what i havent i begin 2 seperate the wack from the good records and some Bitch comes in my room and moves all my record piles around

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
MarkN said:

I DO DA SAME THING!!! I got all my samples in one folder, wit tons of drums, percussions, strings, etc. in other folders. I have everythin at da palm of my hands while in FL. Ill go thru some records, n as soon as i find something ill record into P-Tools, put it in Cool Edit to chop ( I find it easier to chop in CEP than PT) n then into a folder in FL. I chop bout 30-40 parts of a sample too so its a pretty big folder.

nomshizzle

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I usually cop a gang of records at a time. Like maybe 50+. I spend like 2 to 3 days going through em. I will record anything I can use, Breakdowns, horns, strings, vocals etc. I have folders set up in fl for the different samples that I can view from the browser. This has to be one of the greatest pros in doing beats with software. Accesibility, organization, efficient.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have kit folders, I might have "hard hip hop", RnB or percussion folders.....then I just know what drums and samples I have in each....I take good vinyl loops and put them their own folder......if you use and mpc its a pain to name them but if you do it right when you sample it, its much easier....Ron I sort of do like you I might spend a day just finding drums or nice loops and dont make any beats....

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
ron herman said:
I have folders set up in fl for the different samples that I can view from the browser. This has to be one of the greatest pros in doing beats with software. Accesibility, organization, efficient.

true indeed. I haven't tried any other programs that may have a faster sample recall. Inerface very easy to sort through and organize!

members online