Record playback without Stereo Mix in Windows (7+)

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just found a program, i-Sound Recorder from Abyss Media, which allows you to record playback audio without using stereo mix or "what-you-hear" (which is only available for certain sound cards and even with those many of them you have to reveal this feature), also without virtual audio cable (which in my experience is quite laggy a bit cumbersome). It uses what should've been used since Windows Vista: WASAPI; Specifically, in this case, WASAPI loopback.

WASAPI itself is actually quite under utilized, which is a shame as it is very good. i-Sound is the only full program I know of and could find that uses the loopback to capture audio. It isn't free but it is quite inexpensive @ 30 USD. If you can't spring for that there is a small app: WASAPI loopback capture which does basically the same thing but without all the GUI and polished goodness. Bear in mind it can be a bit buggy and not capture anything at times.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Nice to know! That's always been an issue because when I'd find something I want to record, I'd have to run it through my mixer to record it. I used to use "what you hear" on an old Soundblaster, but I don't think that's even available in Windows 7.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you have a soundcard with a loopback DSP it's available, but it is hidden. But I know what you mean, it's annoying to come across something on your computer and have to do some trick like pulling it up on your phone, connecting to the mic jack or line in on your computer to record it. Downloading a YouTube video just for a small piece is also much time wasted.

members online