Recording from the MPC1000 to Macbook Pro

W

who

whats up everyone... so i make beats but im new at recording them as far as getting it to the software and everything in-between, so please be patient with my obvious questions.

i got a lot to ask so i guess i'll start from the beginning and move on to other question as i hopefully get replies from you good folks

So im on the mpc1000 and i just got reason 4... i know i need to get some type of interface (not sure what the appropriate name is) to connect my mpc ---> to the interface ---> to my macbook pro.

1. what is a recommended interface to purchase?

2. i also have serato scratch live, would the interface it comes with work to record through to Reason 4 on my laptop? meaning from MPC --> to serato's interface (not the software) --> to macbook.
because if it works i dont want to purchase an interface and end up with 2

thanks

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Welcome to the forums Who...I wouldnt use the Serato interface to track in your audio from the MPC, instead I would look into investing in a dedicated interface for computer recording. Theres a lot of options out there so your really not limited. What you need to do first is asses what your needs are, ie. Do you want to be able to simultaneously track more then a stereo pair at once?, or are you ok with dumping track by track into your DAW via 1 stereo pair? That will be a big deciding factor in determining how much I/O (in's & out's) you need.

I recommend just getting something with a minimum of at least 2 line in's + a couple mic pre's. Tracking out the MPC1000 via the assignable outs is more hassle then its worth, and as long as you got a midi cable to hook up to your interface in order to sync your MPC to your DAW thats really all you need. You basically dump track by track via the 1 stereo pair available on your interface.

W

who

Recording

o ya im perfectly fine with dumping track by track. So like you said something with a minimum of at least 2 line in's and a couple mic pre's should do.

* I've also got a Vestax PMC-05 Pro 3 DX could it hook up to the RCA line in's on the interface and record to my DAW? (for instance, after dumping the tracks over from the mpc, if i wanted to record a final track of scratching from my tables)

* To record vocals tracks do you plug a mic (condenser or stage) straight to the mic pre's on the interface or is there something in-between?

appreciate you taking the time answering these questions,
thanks again

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
The Vestax isnt going to do you much good since its only a DJ mixer. I would stick to my original recomendation and purchase a dedicated interface with at least 2 line in's, 1-2 mic pre's, and midi. This interface should preferably be firewire as well, but USB will work fine too.

The whole point of the interface is to create a way for you to get your audio into your computer/DAW. The interface will become your central hub for where you hook up any Mic's you want to record into your DAW, as well as record tracks from your MPC...it all goes into your interface first.

Theres a lot of options out there, and I assume your looking for something affordable to get you started so heres a couple interfaces that might work for you...(Im choosing these for you solely based upon available I/O & price point rather then personal preference):

USB:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrackPro/

FW:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuMobile/ - this is probably the most cost effective interface I could find that has all the I/O you need for what you want to do w/ FW.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFire610/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirewireSolo/ - Needs an additional midi interface though like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Uno/.

Note: You might even consider purchasing an M-Box since it comes with ProTools and that way you get an interface along with a DAW at the same time. Just make sure to choose one that offers the I/O you need.

W

who

o i understood you i was just asking, on another note, if i could also plug my vestax mixer into the interface so i can record from tables to the laptop ya know? so I am buying an interface, and by the way those links really help, but i wanted to know if i could also plug my turntables into it (aside form the mpc)

man i appreciate your research on those links... hmm... what do you recommend a FW or a USB interface? is there a speed difference?

Respectfully,
Who

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
No worries man, I must have missed that part of your question....
Yeah, you can also hook your Vestax up to the interface to record in your vinyl.
Your just going to need to make sure the interface has (2) unbalanced RCA's for the output from your table/mixer.

In regards to FW vs USB, if you can afford it try and go with FW - its more reliable for recording audio then USB is, however USB should work just fine as well. There are some obvious limitations once you move into the firewire pricepoint however such as a lack of certain I/O like on the M-Audio FireWire Solo, you'll notice that this interface offers all the I/O you need minus MIDI...it also has a very limited amount of mic pres and line in's, however it is FW and has a little of everything which would be perfect for you accept for the lack of a MIDI connection.

In contrast, something like the FastTrackPro is USB but it offers a little more connectivity such as MIDI, and an additional Mic Pre.

You should be able to see now that "both" are actually very affordable compared to many of the more higher end interfaces out there however when you get into FW stuff you end up having to pay a little higher price tag in order to obtain some of the same I/O that already comes with the USB units...Honestly, I think its just a easy way for the companies to fuck you over and make you have to purchase the next model up, but thats the way it is.

Hope that helps.
-Steezo

W

who

ok, ya that definitely helps. glad i got your last response before i roll out to purchase an interface. think the USB one should be fine at this point at least.

great help im getting lots of progress on starting the recording process.
i'll stay in touch im sure those are my last questions.

good looking out
-who-

members online