recording instruments with crappy mic

• beat this! voting starts in...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i probably have a couple programs in the software i use to take out hissing type sounds

i'm not quite sure how to describe the background noise when recording with it. i've tried experimenting with the mic sensitivty but i'm having a hard time finding a balance

what my question really is really about is whether this really matters or not?

is it possible to use that to my advantage by adding effects to the samples around my recording to get it to mesh in a grimey way that is pleasent to the ears?

i just bought a Recorder from the dollar store and i want to try recording some melodies after i learn how to play this thing

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ya that hissing noise. i have the same thing. u can add the vinyl record sound on ur tracks as a background sound effect to give the track like a 90s mobb deep feel, and itll probably disguise the mic noise a bit.

but the problem is. if u mute and unmute with a crappy mic onto a song, ur gona hear the difference even if ur speaking into it or anything. maybe you can take the hissing (without playing or saying anyhting into the mic) and loop it on ur track along with the vinyl. YEH?

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
ya that hissing noise. i have the same thing. u can add the vinyl record sound on ur tracks as a background sound effect to give the track like a 90s mobb deep feel, and itll probably disguise the mic noise a bit.

but the problem is. if u mute and unmute with a crappy mic onto a song, ur gona hear the difference even if ur speaking into it or anything. maybe you can take the hissing (without playing or saying anyhting into the mic) and loop it on ur track along with the vinyl. YEH?

that would probably work. i've been successful at times at disguising it but when that particular wav runs out the you definiately hear a difference so looping more background noise makes a lot of sense.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
have u tried a noise cancelling plug in? .. i use them on vynil all the time to get rid of the static and crackle. .. waves xnoise works great but its pretty expensive. although im not usre u can use plugins withim magic music maker

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
$30 radioshack mic(karoke style i think)

Thats your main problem right there. But thats just the start. Your going to have a HUGE noise floor with a 30 dollar radio shack mic 99% of the time.

I actually started with one myself....The dam thing was so freakin horrible it just wasnt worth recording with.

Trust me dude. Theres no magic plugin to fix good gear.

Thats your 1st priority if you want a good vox sound. Trust me on that!

STEEZ

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yup, buying a quality mic is the answer. You can't fool todays ears, if you hide the noise it will sound like thats what youre doing versus adding noise intentually to create a certain feel or grimeyness.

dac

members online