Recording Problem

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey everyone. I've got a quick question.

I'm recording to my PC from my mixer. The chain is as follows. I'm recording from my hedphone jack, actually converting 1/4" to 1/8" headphone with an adapter, I'm sure you know what I'm talkin about. Anyways I split that into L and R RCA with a y-adapter, and run an RCA to 1/8" Y cable to my line in of my sound card.

Here's where it gets funny.

If I put the jack all the way in to the sound card, I only get the L channel, but if I pull it like half way out, I get a stereo mix. Any clue as to what may be going on here, and how can I rectify this problem? Thanx in advance.
-Over-

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Steel Side said:
Hey everyone. I've got a quick question.

I'm recording to my PC from my mixer. The chain is as follows. I'm recording from my hedphone jack, actually converting 1/4" to 1/8" headphone with an adapter, I'm sure you know what I'm talkin about. Anyways I split that into L and R RCA with a y-adapter, and run an RCA to 1/8" Y cable to my line in of my sound card.

Here's where it gets funny.

If I put the jack all the way in to the sound card, I only get the L channel, but if I pull it like half way out, I get a stereo mix. Any clue as to what may be going on here, and how can I rectify this problem? Thanx in advance.
-Over-

what type of mixer and what type of soundcard is it?

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
behringer ub2442fx-pro and the card is the sound card is integrated. Realtek AC97.
-Over-

I will be upgrading my sound card. But right now my setup is limited.
-Over-

E

Equality 7-2521

sounds like your soundcard jacks are wack i.e. the connector is not being held properly in place by your soundcard jack. 1/8" connectors never stay in place as well as 1/4" connectors do. and why are you recording from your headphone jack in the first place. take it from your mixers line outs, then you wont need to fuck with that dicky Y splitter.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Equality 7-2521 said:
sounds like your soundcard jacks are wack i.e. the connector is not being held properly in place by your soundcard jack. 1/8" connectors never stay in place as well as 1/4" connectors do. and why are you recording from your headphone jack in the first place. take it from your mixers line outs, then you wont need to fuck with that dicky Y splitter.

word. I have a similar set up at home. Yeah,,goin thru the headphones is strange steel. I have a behringer myself,,,i have a setup according,,,,(I'm at work so bare with me as I'm not lookin at it currently) okay,,,,I have the line out from the Soundcard to the line in on the mixer, and the line out on the mixer to the soundcard. The line out goin onto the soundcard is for my vocal recordings. I have a basic soundblaster so thats what I have for now till i get a better card. And i use the headphones for my head phones. This is so I can here my vocals and tracks as i record. I just shut off my desktop speakers(which suck by the way) I also use this so that I can mix down beats or even fully recorded songs. Hope that helped.

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanx ya'll. Yeah I know the setup sux right now, but that's what I'm workin wit.

Equality 7-2521 said:
and why are you recording from your headphone jack in the first place. take it from your mixers line outs, then you wont need to fuck with that dicky Y splitter.

doing that because to use my main outs, I have to have a stereo pair. ie L and R. Don't have that type of adapter right now. I would prefer to do it that way, but either way until I get a new sound card, I'm going to need some type of Y adapter in order to convert to 1/8".

I'm thinkin about the emu proteus x, cause it's cheap and it'll get the job done. It only has 2 ins and 2 outs and I'd like 8 in. I really want the tascan fw-1884. then i won't need to go through my sound card and I can get audio and midi in through firewire.
-Over-