Recording Problem

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
What up Ill fam,

Could definitely use some help on a recording problem I'm having.

Recording gear:

Audio Techinica AT3035 MIC
MIC Stand/Pop Filter/TRS To XLR cord (female, connecting cord from mic to mixer)
Pioneer DJM-400 Mixer
Audio Editor Pro
Audacity
EMU 0404 Soundcard + Input/Outputs
Phono Preamp FJB-200X
Dual 1/4" to RCA
"Send-Return" Insert Cable, (For Outboard gear with RCA Jacks)
Windows XP

What I'm having trouble with is recording from my mic onto Audio Editor Pro. I know the problem isn't with my soundcard, because I can record off my turntables onto Audio Editor Pro w/o any trouble. But when I'm recording onto Audio Editor Pro, my panels on EMU are set to wave (thats the only option, there isn't a Mic panel). I think that might be part of the problem, I can't seem to find a MIC panel option in Audio Editor Pro, because theres only a wave panel (for EMU 0404). I know you can record from MICs onto with 0404s, but it doesn't really look like it on my computer.

Also, whenever I'm recording off my turntables, I can see the little two bars (panels) go up and down on the mixer, according to the volume/sound increasing and decreasing. But when I have my mic plugged into my mixer, and I talk through my mic, the panel doesn't move at all (as if there isn't any sound going into my mic). I think that is also part of the problem. I have my Mic plugged into the back of my Pioneer mixer in the MIC 1 jack, through 1/4 " jack. For some reason it doesn't seem to be working.

Any help is very appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
with that audio technica mic,,, make sure you have your phantom power on..and i would run it directly into the sound card rather than the mixer..
try that, and i'll be back to see what else there is!!

later,

..ELDIA..

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
well do a little research on the difference between stage mics and condensor mics.
that audio tech mic you have is a large dia condesor, which needs more power (Phantom and or a tube pre-amp, mic pre,,, etc...). regular mics like the shure sm58's dont need phantom power cuz it has its own.. there should be some kind of setting on your card to turn this on... on my audio card there is a button on the front to turn this function on,,, and on my roland vs hard disk recorder there is a switch in the back...

hope this helps,,,,,

..ELDIA..

if your having trouble after this, i will look up the specs on your audio card and see what you have going on...for ya...
later

....ELDIA....

if your still having trouble

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
notes from ---->http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/53b8b7998922fb02/index.html

The AT3035 is intended for use in professional applications where
remote power is available. It requires 11V to 52V DC phantom
power, which may be provided by a mixer or console, or by a
separate, in-line source such as the Audio-Technica AT8801 singlechannel
and CP8506 four-channel phantom power supplies.

ok from looking at your specs on your audio card,,,, you do not have phantom power on that one..... double check i might be wrong.... but if im right, you have 3 options,,,
1. go buy a microphone pre-amp, and dont be cheap cuz it will show in the final product.
2. since the card you do have is not that expensive,, go buy another sound card/interface that does have phantom power.
3. goto ebay and buy a cheap hard disk recorder like a roland vs1680 (what i do) ,,, i think the benifits of recording vocals into a harddisk recorder are, you have the option to turn the fan off while recording(hence silent recording enviroment), no latency issues, and then you have the ability to record sample and flip real quick like. then all you have to do is sync up your comp/audio card to the hard disk recorder and ship your vocals over....

easy as pie

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Yo, thanks for all the help eldiablo. Much appreciated bro! I think I'm just going to look into buying a cheap hard disk recorder, or just buying a mic preamp. I'll do a little research to figure out which would be the most benefical to my situation at the moment. Hopefully I will be able buying something to get me recording soon, I really want to use my new mic. Thanks again dude.