Recording Software..Athlon Processors..compatible??

• beat this! voting starts in...

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Peace Illmuzik,

I know i've been out of the loop for a spell. My PC crashed on me so i'm shopping around for a new one. I've notice alot of PCs are being released with the athlon Processors vs. the Pentiums. I wasn't sure if there would be a compatibility issue in terms of the required specs on recording software. do any of you operate your recording software on a PC with the Athlon processor? If so give your opinions on the performance.

oh yea, and for the PC Gurus of the Forum, any recommendations or advice in terms of purchasing a PC ( minus the monitor,dvd burner and CD burner..those work just fine) any advice will be grately appreciated. Peace.

9zeros

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
trez260 said:
Peace Illmuzik,

I know i've been out of the loop for a spell. My PC crashed on me so i'm shopping around for a new one. I've notice alot of PCs are being released with the athlon Processors vs. the Pentiums. I wasn't sure if there would be a compatibility issue in terms of the required specs on recording software. do any of you operate your recording software on a PC with the Athlon processor? If so give your opinions on the performance.

oh yea, and for the PC Gurus of the Forum, any recommendations or advice in terms of purchasing a PC ( minus the monitor,dvd burner and CD burner..those work just fine) any advice will be grately appreciated. Peace.

theres no problem with the athlon procs, i have an amd 64 bit it and works well with the software

as for purchasing new crap, make sure you get a gig or more of memory , i would also look into the 64 bit processors because it ll give you more flexibility for the future , also cheaper than pentium for the same performance

you could also build a pc but it ll cost around the same as buying one-give or take

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've always stayed away from Athlon processors... I actually had one (one of the first generation of Athlon processors)... hated it... but Athlon processors DON'T get the same performance when clocked. At least as far as other apps go... it wasn't a strictly music based test.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
If you want to check out a bomb ass computer for a good price then check out www.sonicalabs.com
They have one of the best music computers on the market for the price. You can choose from either the AMD chip or the Pentium. Now they are running 64bit dual core processors. You can compare them to the music xpc and the one from sweetwater music and whoever else you want. For the price they offer you much more than the others. I know of three studios that run these computers and they all give it the thumbs up.
ONE

MikeMiz

ill o.g.
I just built a new Athlon X2 3800+ (dual core) computer to replace a dead 2.8ghz P4. I wasn't crazy about making the switch, but saw some good reviews and thought i'd go for it. After 5 days of using this thing with cubase and some plugins, I'm very suprised at how fast it is. Not to mention, this computer has been on for 4 straight days without any problems. Incompatibility issues were non-existent. Even did a couple of cubase songs at 64 latency (Maudio Delta 66), 24 bit, and 96khz. This thing didn't break a sweat.

If you go with the Athlon 64, make sure to grab the dual core (X2). I recommend the nforce3 chipset for the motherboard if building your own pc. Preferbly the Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (upgrade to the ultra version if ya have extra cash). The X2 + nforce3 combo has been proven for audio. Stay away from the nforce4 chipset for now, as the pci express stuff has been known to cause problems for people doing audio. Not to mention you'll have to buy a new PCIX video card to use the thing.

The Pentium dual cores are decent, but the new boards for those use pci express as well (same issues as nforce4 chipset). You'll also have to buy new DDR2 memory along with a new video card if you go that route.

Here's some audio benchmarks with the latest processors. Hope this helps a few out there.
http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MikeMiz said:
I just built a new Athlon X2 3800+ (dual core) computer to replace a dead 2.8ghz P4. I wasn't crazy about making the switch, but saw some good reviews and thought i'd go for it. After 5 days of using this thing with cubase and some plugins, I'm very suprised at how fast it is. Not to mention, this computer has been on for 4 straight days without any problems. Incompatibility issues were non-existent. Even did a couple of cubase songs at 64 latency (Maudio Delta 66), 24 bit, and 96khz. This thing didn't break a sweat.

If you go with the Athlon 64, make sure to grab the dual core (X2). I recommend the nforce3 chipset for the motherboard if building your own pc. Preferbly the Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (upgrade to the ultra version if ya have extra cash). The X2 + nforce3 combo has been proven for audio. Stay away from the nforce4 chipset for now, as the pci express stuff has been known to cause problems for people doing audio. Not to mention you'll have to buy a new PCIX video card to use the thing.

The Pentium dual cores are decent, but the new boards for those use pci express as well (same issues as nforce4 chipset). You'll also have to buy new DDR2 memory along with a new video card if you go that route.

Here's some audio benchmarks with the latest processors. Hope this helps a few out there.

that actually helps a great deal actually man. I'm actually looking into building my next pc. i've been looking at a couple of barebone packages to lean towards. here's one that's caught my eye as of recently
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1508924&Sku=A455-2110 H

here's another one i was lookin at
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474714&Sku=A455-2110 G

if you dont mind, hit me back with the specs and price of the items you got to build yours homie. GLO, Peace.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
O-H-TEN said:
If you want to check out a bomb ass computer for a good price then check out www.sonicalabs.com
They have one of the best music computers on the market for the price. You can choose from either the AMD chip or the Pentium. Now they are running 64bit dual core processors. You can compare them to the music xpc and the one from sweetwater music and whoever else you want. For the price they offer you much more than the others. I know of three studios that run these computers and they all give it the thumbs up.
ONE

from what i can see from the specs, i can probly the same thing for a lil cheaper, they got some dope ass cases tho. GLO Ten. Peace.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
9zeros said:
theres no problem with the athlon procs, i have an amd 64 bit it and works well with the software

as for purchasing new crap, make sure you get a gig or more of memory , i would also look into the 64 bit processors because it ll give you more flexibility for the future , also cheaper than pentium for the same performance

you could also build a pc but it ll cost around the same as buying one-give or take

building a high end pc will cost a little more then a new lower end pc....

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MikeMiz said:

Here's another one i've been checkin out. opinoins anyone?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...BTO 988886&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM943C

members online