Recording to Tape? Getting Grimy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've heard a lot about people "recording to tape" to get a warm grimy sound and I was wondering how exactly do you do this. Most recently I heard about it in the article Wings just posted but I've seen it talked about many times. What is the easiest way to do this?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
OMG no offense but as an older head..My brain just exploded...
How do you record to tape was not one of things I was expecting..

On the real it depends on what kid of quality of tape you are tryin to record on.
Cassette I can tell you easy.
Reel to Reel?
2 inch?
Tape Does have a really good sound.
It also gonna take buying gear.
But what were you thinking of in the way of recording?

O

open mind

But thats only if you want a GOOD sound, if you want to get "Grimey" it might not be bad to recrd to cassette.
Then sample off thet tape back into digital..Should sound good and shitty I mean grimey.
The irony is everyone went digital to sound better than tape..lol..

lol nice1

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
put a tape in a press record ! lol

nah like has been said above they don't tend to mean casette tapes, there are other more professional tape formats but these require special machinary and cost a hell of a lot !

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
well recording to 2 inch wouldn't really be what you want anyways. 2 inch tape is either 16 or 24 tracks. You want 1/2" tape, which is 2 tracks, for a stereo master.

Either way, to buy a Studer half inch tape machine, its gonna cost you about $10,000 or more, USED. Then buying reels of tape will run you about $100/reel. If you wanna record to tape, book out a studio and bring all your final beat mixes in, then just run them all through the tape machine, then back into pro tools. Studio will only cost you $100/hour or so, plus the cost of tape.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Damn I didn't realize how expensive it was, thanks for the help. And yea I have to admit I've been listening to hip hop for a while and I'm very familiar with the classics but my production knowledge is mostly centered around contemporary methods. I was listening to some Kno beats on a Cunninlynguists cd and was so inspired I spent 3 hours reading up on grimy production methods. I know he uses vinyl samples but I figured he had some other tricks so feel free to share them if anyone knows some secrets hehe.

static

static yessir
ill o.g.
well static dosint know shit about that 2 inch shit or the reel on reel BUT
some of the cheap ass people down here use a "kareoke" or how ever its spelled machine to record.
pop in the cd with the beat. get a mic that will plug into the port n press record then play the beat and spit.
honestly id suggest you sample the tape onto digital. because i know if someone passed me a demo on tape i wouldint listen to it because i dont have ANYTHING that plays tape lol.

playah

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I havent read most of these, I've only noticed the 'It'll be expensive' posts. Just get a cheap, normal cassette recorder, if you wanting a grimey sound...

T

The Bastard

you guys are kinda over exageratin it, i use to record to 1/4 and half inch tape in school the reels were only seven bucks at daddys junky music,and im pretty sure my teachers said sumthin about the machines bein a few hundred bucks offa ebay, then she replaced the heads n shit. im sure studio style super machine that stevie wonder use to record on cost like 10 gs, but if u want a cheaper solution for decent sound you have options, ebay, search for reel to reel recorder

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Ok dont liksten to bastard cuz he has no clue. For one, do any of you know how to calibrate a tape machine? I will bet not. Most people in the studios don't even know how to calibrate a tape machine. That's what the studio techs are for. I've done it a number of times, and believe me, if you don't know what you're doin or what you're lookin for, you're gonna fuck it up, and your recording will likely sound like shit. One side louder than the other, etc.

$7 reels of tape? If you ask anyone with any know how about tape, there's only 1 answer, Quantegy. For a 1/2 inch reel you're lookin at at least $60.

Listen, trust me on this one, if you want to record to tape, get all your mixes ready, and just book a studio out for a few hours. And spend the entire time bouncing though the tape machine, and back into pro tools. If the studio has you set up properly, and you don't waste any time, you should be able to bang out 10 songs in an hour.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Swivels right...Bastard you suck....
Makes sense to me, I mean to go kick out the cash where you know it will be right.
That or else your gonna spend an ass of time and money tryin to do it yourself...
But if you REALLY want it grimey just do it to cassette.lol, one with dirty heads..

T

The Bastard

how am i the one that sucks ,when you clowns cant record to tape witout droppin 10 gs, i was buyin reals steadily from daddys junky music 1/4 inch for under ten bucks. ur talkin top of the line shit. dood didnt say hey i wanna make a recording that sounds like micheal jacksons shit in the mid 80s, dood just said he wanted to record to tape, and he can do that all he has to do is read, and not listen to any of you beefstews (gangster talk for losers and zeros) tryin to talk him out of it.the link i posted is a perfectly good working unit (so it says) for 200 beans. click the link

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
lmao those tapes suck!!
nah you know your my boy, but theres swivel...Who has recorded like six songs on the new P-Diddy album and has met JZ and worked with a slew of other cats, then theres you..A beefstew that breaks peoples arms for a livin.
Im thinkin Swivel may know what hes sayin on the callibrating thing.

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
I look at it this way, do it right the first time, so you dont have to do it again. If you're looking for the warmth of tape compression, spend the few hundred dollars, book out a studio and have professionals do it. If you do it yourself, you're gonna run into lots of problems, and I promise you, it will not sound right. We're not talking about sampling a kick drum through tape, we're talking about printing your final mixes through tape to add that nice warm tape compression. Dont use a cassette, and dont attempt to buy a tape machine and do it yourself. Book the damn studio, get it done right, and in the end you will likely save money.

As Cartman might say "DONT QUESTION MY AUTHORITAI!" lol

Nah but for real, I'm just lookin out for you guys, trust me on this one.

T

The Bastard

I look at it this way, do it right the first time, so you dont have to do it again. If you're looking for the warmth of tape compression, spend the few hundred dollars, book out a studio and have professionals do it. If you do it yourself, you're gonna run into lots of problems, and I promise you, it will not sound right. We're not talking about sampling a kick drum through tape, we're talking about printing your final mixes through tape to add that nice warm tape compression. Dont use a cassette, and dont attempt to buy a tape machine and do it yourself. Book the damn studio, get it done right, and in the end you will likely save money.

As Cartman might say "DONT QUESTION MY AUTHORITAI!" lol

Nah but for real, I'm just lookin out for you guys, trust me on this one.

THATS COOL THAT U GOT ALL THE EXPERIENCE N KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PROFESSIONAL STUDIO RECORDING BUT U SHOULD NEVER TRY TO PUT PEOPLE OFF TO EXPERIMENTING WIT SHIT. IF EVERYONE HERE ''PAYED SUM1 ELSE TO DO IT RIGHT'' WE WOULDNT EVEN BE MAKIN BEATS. YEAH HELL RUN INTO PROBLEMS,RECORDING TO TAPE ISNT AN EIGTH AS EASY AS RECORDING ON YUR PC. BUT THATS HOW U LEARN RIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.