Refurbished PC for producing

Rob-Les

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Would you recommend getting a refurbished pc and hooking it up just for production vs getting a new one? Just trying to find out what's the best way to set up my stuff without spending too much. I currently have an old pc (233) with a very slow processor (P2) and I was planning on getting the Oxy8 and the 2496 card soon. I run sound forge as my audio editor and making waves as my sequencer. Any thoughts, ideas or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Heck

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
if you work with midi it does not matter what kind of pc you have, you can even buy an old atari.
when you work a lot with audio and soft synth's you should get a fast pc 'cause that sucks away all your cpu power. I think a p2 is not fast enough.
I've got a p4 with 256 mb ram but I need more ram also.
it depends on what you work with I guess.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
There is nothing wrong with refurbished computers as long as you have some type of warranty which will cover hardware repairs and things of that nature. I wouldn't buy it without that, you'll be sorry if you do. We used to order refurbished Dell computers all the time at my old job and they worked just as good as the brand new computers.

So...

What are the specifications on this computer?
For example get a big enough harddrive no less than 80GB I would say. 1GB of Ram is good or atleast 500MB, Windows XP is a pretty solid OS for Audio Production or even Windows 98/2000 would do fine for what you want to use. My main beef would be to make certain you get a warranty on parts, so if the motherboard, cpu whatever dies on you, you can get a new one without spending any of your own money, the fact that it's refurbished only means it's been used before, but computers are made up of parts and getting a brand new computer doesn't guarantee anything. I've purchased brand new computers for clients that had bad motherboards, CDRoms etc, so it's not that crucial to buy new, especially if you need to save money. Buy something with good specs with a warranty plain and simple. If you need further details or guidance let me know.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

My first two singles were recorded on a PII350mhz w/ 128mb RAM, 5400 rpm drive (13 gb), running Cubase 3.72....audio and MIDI. Any new refurbished PC should do the job just nicely.

Nick