Reggae's Influence On Hip Hop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
Reggae has played a big role in the development of hip hop (and vice versa). from the rappers to the producers. but when i think about this the producer that sticks out most to me is timbaland. His clearly usin the Reggae (dancehall) concept but i have yet heard him do not even one track with a reaage artist (get ur freak on, ugly, feel the girl, gossip folks, i could go on). wuts up wit dat man. well maybe now that sean paul has gotten big he mite do a lil somethin wit him but that dont count. I mean the neptunes do it all the time and i usually love the tracks but the one man thats taken the dancehall concept over into hip hop is slackin when it comes to workin with a reggae artist. (a real one) wut else do you know???

C

Copenhagen

I won't argue that reggae/ragga/dancehall etc hasn't influenced hip-hop and vice versa...but apart from the Fela Kuti sample used as a break in Missy's - '1 minute man', I don't see the clear link between Timbo's productions and reggae etc.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
alrite buddy here's the break down...i mean actually it was a smart move by timbaland since his style is you know make em dance or wut not.

but for the break down...in Rap when you count it off you get a (im countin in 16th notes to help make the point clear) 1-2-3-4 pattern correct??? and in rap the main hits come in on the ones with that you getta nice smooth vibe you can jus bob ya head to it rite...

but anyone who knows DANCEhall knows the main hits com in on the 1, 4 and 7. (16th notes wise) leavin no time to stop movin and you cant jus bob ya head to that you gotta putta lil extra in it (well anyone that can dance will and thats his one of his target markets i think) so i mean its a good move for him, of course he took it and put that timbo flava to it so you mite say...well his beats are nuthin like dancehalls well yea cuz hes not a dancehall producer im jus sayin lately he's incorporated a good concept for dancehall into his beats but hasnt done anyting with any of the artists that i know of. im waitin tho.

C

Copenhagen

Little man, I'm not your buddy who you talk down to.

Even though it was poorly explained, I guess I catch your drift.
However, I still see no clear link to Timbaland. He is inspired from all over and also uses f.x. a lot of the percussion patterns seen in Arabian countries etc to fill out his beats. It's not just one thing...

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
why you always twistin some shit around. and who the fuck you callin little. to put it simple...you really dont know me. so wuts the problem u got with me??? please explain hwich you do so well.

either way aight i guess the "link" isnt clear, yea he is inspired from alot of other styles of music, yea u rite u rite u rite (is that wut u wana hear) sorry bout the poor explination, i was just thinkin one day, sorry for thinkin.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
ya..

Attachments

• warinababylon.jpg
    warinababylon.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 159
C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by J-malice
alrite buddy here's the break down...

Hey, I'm sorry...but to me that sounds like someone trying to learn a 4-year-old something...and once again I'm sorry but I'm not a 4-year-old...I'm reaching 25 and would like to be addressed like an adult.

Originally posted by J-malice
but anyone who knows DANCEhall knows...

To me, that's like indireclty saying I don't know jack shit about Dancehall, which offends me when I regularly listen to other genres than Hip-Hop, Dancehall/Reggae being one of the favourites.

Calling you little man was an attempt at giving you the same taste as you gave me...and by it I wasn't referring to your size but your age.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
ay check this man. wuteva lil tension thing we got goin here, lets jus say fuck it and leave it at that playa. you go yo form of fuck you in, i got my form of fuck you in, now lets say fuck it. and i posted earlier today sayin that i wasnt tryna talk down to you but i dont see it anymore. so ill say it again, the alrite buddy part is just how i talk, then breakdown was as in breakdown of wut i was thinkin...all it was was my opinion. its not like its some formula written in a text book and i was tryna teach it to you. i was jus breakin down wut i was thinkin at the time. aight man. boom, dun, no need fo di hole eep a chatteration. one love, peace and respect

C

Copenhagen

I don't know where that post it, I didn't delete anything.

As I already mentioned in the other thread...I have no beef, though I'd appreciate it if you let your beats speak or themselves and let us decide what we think of them. Other people's critique is also always better then one's own critique. That's positive meant...

Maybe the above-mentioned resulted in me reading your post negatively, I don't know...nevertheless, I agree that we should call it quits. For that same reason, I'm closing and burying the thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.