Remix projects..advice

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what's good yall?

i've decided to do a remix project. it is based on a theme, and without giving it away, it's gonna sound real raw and nostalgic. i just wanted to know from yall who may have a done a remix project (wether it was a remix of an someone's whole album, or just remixes from different artist, in a mixtape fashion) what your experiences has been or if you have any advice when puttin one out?

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
I'm not to sure what type of advice you are looking for. Do you plan on selling the album once it as been completed or will it be a free download?

You would have probably had more replys on this if you had posted it in '' The Lab '' .

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm not to sure what type of advice you are looking for. Do you plan on selling the album once it as been completed or will it be a free download?

You would have probably had more replys on this if you had posted it in '' The Lab '' .
still undecided, but i'm leaning towards making a free download, primarily on the premise of the theme. guess i'm just looking to hear others experience when puttin out a remix project. any opportunities and if so what kind? did the project result in any new obstacle or challenges as far as gettin out and establishing a name? how well was their project received?

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
still undecided, but i'm leaning towards making a free download, primarily on the premise of the theme. guess i'm just looking to hear others experience when puttin out a remix project. any opportunities and if so what kind? did the project result in any new obstacle or challenges as far as gettin out and establishing a name? how well was their project received?

If you decide to make it a free download, having an account on the following sites should help people find your work. www.datpiff.com / www.albumhunt.com along with the usual MySpace & Soundclick ect...

Will you be making a mixtape to promote yourself as a producer?

I guess it will come down to what type of mixtape it will be for how well people pick up on it, such as the artists that will be featured on there and the vibe of the album.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you decide to make it a free download, having an account on the following sites should help people find your work. www.datpiff.com / www.albumhunt.com along with the usual MySpace & Soundclick ect...

Will you be making a mixtape to promote yourself as a producer?

I guess it will come down to what type of mixtape it will be for how well people pick up on it, such as the artists that will be featured on there and the vibe of the album.

i am using it aa a promotional tool (thus, another reason i'ma making it a free download)
but it's not entirely a display of my production because it's based on a theme (recent songs, but classic samples and breaks)

i must say, it won't be for everybody.

if you dig some of the late releases but still crave some those classic samples that just makes you go nuts, you may want to check it out.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
i've remixed full albums by aesop rock, j-live, crown city rockers, the o brother where art thou soundtrack, and an emcee friend of mine, laif. all were received well. j-live got to here some of the remixes and was digging them. i was supposed to produce some tracks for ahman rashad from crown city rockers, but that fell thru. i still have diehard aesop rock fans hunting me down on myspace to get a copy of the remix album. all in all, the projects i've done have been well received. they haven't really progressed my career or made me any money, but people like them. i think its a great exercise. it can really be a challenge to get vocals that were made for something else to sound cohesive over something new. i'm starting to remix ludacris' release therapy album now.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i've definitely enjoyed the process of remixing records. the pursuit for acapellas can be a pain. this being my first time out, i'm definitely not looking for monetary gain (hell there are so many people doing remix project and making them available for free download). i hope that my project is received, and gains me some attention i haven't received thus far. i'm undecided as to how much i'm going to pursue doing remix projects, however if i hear a song that i think i can flip, i'm going for it. i just don't know how much i want to invest in doing remix projects on top of shopping beats. just thought i'd ask what experiences others have had in terms of doing them(understanding results may vary). nonetheless, i've enjoyed the creative process of it, i'll just see what happens. stay tuned.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
........ i'm starting to remix ludacris' release therapy album now.

That's tight. I would love to get at that when you finish that. Good luck. BTW, how you gettin all the accapellas from that?

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
That's tight. I would love to get at that when you finish that. Good luck. BTW, how you gettin all the accapellas from that?

http://www.acapellaarchives.blogspot.com/

somebody posted this site not too long ago. there's a ton of acapellas there. i used to have a deadly collection of acapellas, but i realized i rarely used them, so i ditched them. i wish i had kept them now.